Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Another ATMEGA328-PU Bootloader Problem  (Read 912 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all, let me preface this by saying that I have done the research about bootloading the ATMEGA328-PU vs the ATMEGA32P-PU. I am using an Arduino Duemilanove with the arduinoISP program loaded on it to program my blank chip. The reset line on the Duemilanove's reset line has been tied high with 3 330 ohm resistors in parallel giving 110 ohms of resistance between the reset pin and 5v supply. I have gone over and over the wiring to check that the MISO, MOSI, SCK, and Reset lines are going to the respective pins on the Duemilanove. I have also tried changing the lock bit/ signature from 0x0f to 0x14 as suggested in other posts about this particular issue. I have even tried using both the mac and windows versions of the Arduino 1.0.4 to see if it was an OS problem. Despite all of this I still get an avrdude error about the device code not being recognized. What am I doing wrong here? Do I perhaps need a 16mhz crystal on the crystal pins for it to work correctly? I tried burning it with the Duemilanove bootloader as well as the 8mhz @ 3v arduino pro bootloader with the same results so I get the feeling that it is not the crystal. Any help would be much appreciated, I get the feeling that a new set of eyes will reveal some simple problem that I have overlooked. I will post a picture of the breadboard as it is currently hooked up shortly.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

The reset pull-up is supposed to be 10K not 100 ohms. Try that first.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

The reset pull-up is supposed to be 10K not 100 ohms. Try that first.

I think the OP is defeating the auto-reset on the Duemilanove board with the low ohm resistor to temporarily disable the auto-reset on the 'programmer' board running the arduinoISP sketch. That's per most instructions, no?

Actually I've used my Duemilanove maybe a dozen times as the arduinoISP programmer and never once had to defeat the auto-reset function, but I understand it's a timing thing and is not always effected by the auto-reset process.

Lefty

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

The picture would be good. The chips ship with the divide-by-8 bit set which won't be helping, probably.

I have stuff about setting up minimal boards: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11637

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Here is the photo. I am beginning to think that the problem lies in avrdude not recognizing the chip as the error is an avrdude error, not an Arduino error. Thanks again for your help!

* IMAG0215.jpg (1678.13 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 44 times.)

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Can you copy and paste the error message please?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Sorry, I should have done that in the first place.

Error message from Mac, burning the Duemilianove Bootloader: "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x15"
Error message from Mac, burning the ProMini 8mhz @ 3.3v Bootloader: "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x15"

The error message in windows says something along the lines of "Yikes the device ID wasn't recognized. Press -f to override." I don't have access to the windows computer at the moment so I couldn't get it verbatim but that is the essence of it. What I also found is that when I add a board to the boards file in Mac, it doesn't show up in the list so I am not sure if changing the lock bit in the boards file is actually doing anything.

UK
God Member
View Profile

The non-P 328 has a different Signature to the P version.

This isn't present by default in boards.txt or averdude.conf.

You need to modify both files to add support for the non-P 328, in order to burn a bootloader and set fuses. Once you have a bootloader installed the you have to revert back to the standard 328P board in IDE to upload sketches over serial.

I believe that Nicks programmer sketch might support the non-P and save you needing to make the modifications. I haven't tried it personally but I think I saw in the code that it looked like it supported non-P 328.

I've successfully burnt bootloaders to non-P using Arduino ISP with the mods to boards.txt and averdude.conf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: