Go Down

Topic: Analog control of 15 outputs - Beginner question (Read 403 times) previous topic - next topic

otacon239

I'm setting up a project using the Arduino and I'm the very early stages of design. I was just wondering if someone could help me out with some basics.

What are some reading materials I could be pointed towards to help with a project that I need the following for. I plan on using the Arduino Pro Mini due to its light weight and small size for the project, which will be wearable. I need to, by the end of my project, have the ability to do the following things:

1. Get full analog control of 15 individual outputs (5 RGB LEDs)
2. Have 4-5 digital inputs
3. Create a system for simple syntax of this control (LED#, color, brightness)

If someone could just point me towards a website or book, that would be fine. I'm just not sure where to get started since many of the materials I've been finding don't have a lot of info on such a specific design for obvious reasons. Thanks a ton to anyone who helps. Also, I would like to refrain from using preexisting shields as I will be using the Pro Mini and I need this design to be compact and simple.

Grumpy_Mike

For that many outputs you need an external chip. A popular one is the TLC5940 google that for help with it.

mixania

Mar 18, 2013, 05:01 pm Last Edit: Mar 18, 2013, 06:03 pm by mixania Reason: 1
As Grumpy_Mike you would certainly need some additional hardware to handle all of those outputs.That's a separate task to deal with.  :smiley-roll:

Setting up the digital input won't be a problem. Here is an example of setting up a digital input using a button and a 10K resistor:  
http://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/button :)

Or if you don't have a 10K resistor you could use the internal pull-up resistor right on the Arduino which would save up some wiring. Here is a video tutorial:
http://youtu.be/jJnD6LdGmUo

Also be aware that Arduino Mini has only 6 PWM outputs and you need 15 of them which means you would need some extension for that too. That's something hard for me to explain since I have no good knowledge in that.  :smiley-roll-sweat:

I could guide you through the  "system for simple syntax of this control" as I like it how you call it, very formal.  ;)

First of all, you could create your own function. Here is a link to it if you won't understand my explanation:
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/FunctionDeclaration

So you want: (LED#, color, brightness). Lets create a function and call it "rgbControl" and let it control some of the attributes.
Note: I will separate the color section into three sections, R, G and B. I will remove the LED number in you proposal but you can add it any time

Code: [Select]

void  rgbControl(int r, int g, int b, float brightness){
 // let's say the RGB led has its RGB pins on number 1,2 and 3
 // Input the brightness in percentages
 analogWrite(1,(r*brightness/100)); // lets set its red value
 analogWrite(2,(g*brightness/100)); // lets set its green value
 analogWrite(3,(b*brightness/100)); // lets set its  blue value
}

Put this code before or after the loop() function (not in the function). And in the loop() itself you could write something like

This will give you a red at a 50% brightness:
rgbControl(256,0,0,50);

This will give you a green at a 80% brightness:
rgbControl(0,256,0,80);

This will give you a red at a 100% brightness:
rgbControl(0,0,256,100);

The final sketch may look something like:

void setup () {
}

void loop () {
 rgbControl(256,0,0,50); //This will give you a red at a 50% brightness:
 rgbControl(0,0,0,0);    //Set values to off
 rgbControl(0,256,0,80); //This will give you a green at a 80% brightness:
 rgbControl(0,0,0,0);    //Set values to off
 rgbControl(0,0,256,100); //This will give you a red at a 100% brightness:
 rgbControl(0,0,0,0);     //Set values to off
}
void  rgbControl(int r, int g, int b, float brightness){
 // let's say the RGB led has its RGB pins on number 1,2 and 3
 // Input the brightness in percentages
 analogWrite(1,(r*brightness/100)); // lets set its red value
 analogWrite(2,(g*brightness/100)); // lets set its green value
 analogWrite(3,(b*brightness/100)); // lets set its  blue value
}

I hope this will get you started. If you have questions just ask :)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy