Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Problem with custom Atmega2560 board, cannot use FT232 for Serial comms  (Read 4224 times)
Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

There's a utility you can download from ftdichip.com: FT_PROG 2.8.2.0 - EEPROM Programming Utility

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

I got a copy, thinking I could see how the FT232 chip was configured. Well that worked but I couldn't see anything obviously wrong.

Then it occurred to me last night to compare the chip to a working one in a board from another manufacturer. Maybe there is something that is a default that everyone knows to change, like the "divide by 8" bit in the processor.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Hmm, could be.  I've never seen anyone ask about that before.
Is it summer there yet? Another snow storm just letting up here, maybe some more snow later tonight too.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Is it summer? We just had a run of about 10 days of over 30C temperature (over 86F). Then at nights it only got down to about 25C (77F). It was hot, damn hot.

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

We just had a run of about 10 days of over 30C temperature (over 86F). Then at nights it only got down to about 25C (77F). It was hot, damn hot.
Wow.  If that keeps up retiring Victorians (and Neighbours' characters) could cease migrating up here!  I'm pretty sure that was foundation of our state's economic recovery plan too smiley-eek  It's officially Autumn, but here it's raining due to ex-tropical cyclone 'Tim' and we have a warning of another potential cyclone forming up north.  That's xmas weather...it's all gone a bit weird.

Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

View Profile

The chip/driver must auto-detect the baud rate coming from the processor, and they seem not to be doing as good a job as the 8U2 chip.
How do you mean? Neither the ftdi nor the 8u2's firmware do that, they just impose the baudrate sent over usb by the pc on their uart.

About the theory of overflowing the ftdi's 64 byte buffer. What if you send data only every say 30 msec? (the buffer is flushed over usb after a configurable timeout which is 16msec by default).

How is the ftdi connected? Is there an auto reset line (DTR or RTS) towards the atmega? Are the other flow ctrl signals connected (toggling cts,... flushes the buffer too)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:51:05 pm by PeterVH » Logged

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Here is the relevant part of the circuit. Does anything that is floating look as if it should be brought high or low?

How do you mean? Neither the ftdi nor the 8u2's firmware do that, they just impose the baudrate sent over usb by the pc on their uart.

Oh, OK then. So when the PC/Mac connects at a certain baud rate, it configures the FT232 to expect that baud rate on the "other side"?

About the theory of overflowing the ftdi's 64 byte buffer. What if you send data only every say 30 msec? (the buffer is flushed over usb after a configurable timeout which is 16msec by default).

I tried a loop sending a letter at a time, with a 100 mS delay, still nothing.

How is the ftdi connected? Is there an auto reset line (DTR or RTS) towards the atmega? Are the other flow ctrl signals connected (toggling cts,... flushes the buffer too)

See above. I presume any pins without a net name are floating.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I just spotted this in the datasheet:

When used in Input Mode, the input pins are pulled to VCCIO via internal 200kΩ resistors.

Wahiawa, Hawaii
God Member
View Profile

Nick, do you have any way to verify your 16MHz crystal?  Maybe it's slightly off frequency?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Maybe set the fuse for CLKO and carefully probe pin 9 to confirm the system clock?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Output the ASCII table to Serial1 (serial one).  Use a serial-to-USB converter to get the output into your Mac.  If that works, the problem is very likely the onboard converter.  If that does not work, the problem is very likely the 2560.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Nick, do you have any way to verify your 16MHz crystal?  Maybe it's slightly off frequency?

I wrote a sketch that toggles PK4, a pin I can get to:

Code:
void setup ()
  {
  noInterrupts ();
  DDRK |= 1 << 4;  // PK4

while (true)
    PINK |= 1 << 4;  // toggle PK4
  }  // end of setup

void loop () { }

The generated code takes 7 clock cycles:

Code:
132:   80 91 06 01     lds     r24, 0x0106   (2)
 136:   80 61           ori     r24, 0x10       ; 16   (1)
 138:   80 93 06 01     sts     0x0106, r24   (2)
 13c:   fa cf           rjmp    .-12            ; 0x132 <setup+0xc>   (2)

Thus it would be 28 cycles for 4 iterations of the loop (4 x 7). That should take 28 * 62.5 nS, that is 1.75 uS.

Measured at 100 MHz it seems to be taking exactly that:

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Output the ASCII table to Serial1 (serial one).  Use a serial-to-USB converter to get the output into your Mac.  If that works, the problem is very likely the onboard converter.  If that does not work, the problem is very likely the 2560.

I needed to fire up my RS485 converter as well as the serial-to-USB converter but after doing that, yes the ASCII table appears.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

So the FTDI chip is not working then?

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I won't quite go that far, because I have uploaded sketches on my Windows PC to it, but not from my Mac. So it works up to a point.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Could it be a power problem?  Are you certain the Mac USB port is regulating the voltage to a reasonable range?

Try with a powered hub in the middle.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: