Go Down

Topic: how to make public variables declared in setup() (Read 726 times) previous topic - next topic

Gatt427

I come from a Java background and I am used to being able to make a public variable in a subfunction like so: (with Java syntax, this is purely theoretical)

Code: [Select]

void loop(){
    public String hello = "Hi World";
}

Is this possible in Arduino C++?  I am trying to define an array size without actually knowing the size.  In order to know the size I need to run a different function which would calculate the files to be in the array prior to creation.  (I have that, I just dont know how to change the size of a public array.)  There may be an even easyer way that i'm not even thinking of.  If there is, please say so.

AWOL

I come from a Java background
it'll take a while, but we can help you.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Gatt427

Arrch

If you want a dynamically sized array, then you'll need to use malloc(). If you want to re-size it, then you'll need free() as well, but there is currently a bug with free() right now that can lead to memory leakage. I think it's fixed in 1.0.4; someone correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds like you are only sizing the array once, so a single malloc() call should suffice.

AWOL

In order to know the size I need to run a different function which would calculate the files to be in the array prior to creation.
you need to explain that sentence.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Gatt427

I have a different function.  it basically runs thru the array without saving it.  just incrementing all the values to figure out how many there are.  That value is stored as the int I need to be the array size.  lets call it length. 

void dSize() {
     length++;
  }

the array would need to be:

String files[length]; 

but because files[] is used in multiple subfunctions, it needs to be public, or I need to find a way to share its data.

Arrch

Simple example using an int array.

int *myArray; // pointer to an int

void setup()
{
   int size = getSizeForMyArray(); // determine the size of the array
   myArray = (int*) malloc(size * sizeof(int)); // allocate the space on the heap.
}

vod loop()
{
  // do stuff with my array
}

Gatt427

Simple example using an int array.

int *myArray; // pointer to an int

void setup()
{
   myArray = (int*) malloc(size * sizeof(int)); // allocate the space on the heap.
}

vod loop()
{
}

Thats exactially what I need!
so to do that with a String array I world do:

String *myArray; // pointer to an int

void setup()
{
   myArray = (String*) malloc(size * sizeof(String)); // allocate the space on the heap.
}

vod loop()
{
}

?

Arrch

I don't recommend using Strings; they have numerous documented (on these forums, at least) issues.

In this particular instance, you're also going to have issues with determining the size of a single String, as they are intended to be dynamically sized.

Gatt427

I need String arrays to hold the title of the songs I am storing.  Those strings are used directly by a library to print to my lcd.

Gatt427

When I use the method listed above, I get these error messages. 
the code:

songs = (String*)malloc(length * sizeof(String);

error:
jukebox.ino: In function 'void setup()':
jukebox:36: error: expected primary-expression before '*' token
jukebox:36: error: expected primary-expression before ')' token
jukebox:36: error: expected `;' before 'malloc'

AWOL

Gatt427

LOLLLOLOLOL thanks for catching my complete fail... I should probably take a nap now...

Gatt427

ok... that previous fix compiled.  But it diddnt make an array.  I need an array of Strings, not a String of x length.

mistergreen

maybe you can try for a 2-d char array instead
char songs[3][20] = { {"song a"}, {"song b"}, {"song c"} };

Song title is limited to 20 characters. You can use the malloc to add new songs titles.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy