Go Down

Topic: Autonomous Lawn Mower Navigation (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

johnwasser

The first locations from a GPS might not be as precise as subsequent fixes.  They often give you a less accurate answer in order to give you a fast answer. 

What I think I would do is send the base station location to the mobile station and give an indication when the two agree within some reasonable margin (like 100 cm). Then switch to Differential GPS. 

A possible alternative is to get accuracy data from the base station GPS itself. Then you can throw out data until accuracy gets into the expected range.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Khamey

After being outside a while the readings went from about 9m to 0m when they were about 1m apart. I think it's safe to assume the two GPS receive different errors therefore making the an infeasible solution. You keep mentioning differential GPS but I don't know how that would work, is it significantly different than what I am trying to do?

johnwasser

You keep mentioning differential GPS but I don't know how that would work, is it significantly different than what I am trying to do?

Not if you are doing it right. "Differential GPS" uses a fixed ground station to provide error data to moving stations.

Are your two GPS modules the same make, model, and version?
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Khamey

Yes exactly the same. How long does a base station need to gather data before it has a known location?

JimEli

Don't you need a surveyed point for the GPS to compare with to do differential?

Go Up