Go Down

Topic: SMTP Newbie Help (Read 67 times) previous topic - next topic

dfoliver

I have gotten all squared away with my ESP8266 and I am developing a project that will require me simply to send an email when an event happens, nothing more.  It looks like I want t use SMTP, that seems easiest, but I will be honest, I am having a hard time understanding what I need to do to establish the proper connection.  I can get onto my WiFi no problem and I understand all about sending the necessary SMTP instructions.  But I am getting confused about probably the simplest thing, connecting to the server? Can I just connect ot smtp.comcast.net or do I need some sort of IP or what? I have looked online and I just get more confused.  I don;t even think I need the specific IDE commands (I am using the ITEAD library), I just need to understand what is going. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help.

doughboy

comcast requires TLS (SSL) connection. You need to find an smtp that does not require SSL connection first. Unless you are using esp8266 sdk and connection directly from within esp8266, there is no support for SSL connection using AT commands.

dfoliver

OK, thanks, that helps. Are there any libraries that can accomplish this? Let's say I do find an email that does not require SSL to send an email, then what? I hate asking these "tell me everything" messages, but I have spent days trying to figure it out.

Whandall

Are there any libraries that can accomplish this?
No, you have to search for an SMTP server that does not require SSL yourself.

Let's say I do find an email that does not require SSL to send an email, then what?
Emails that need SSL and emails sending emails are quite rare.

If you wanted to ask "Let's say I find a SMTP server that does not require SSL, then what?"
I suggest to connect to that servers SMTP-port and use your skills.
I understand all about sending the necessary SMTP instructions.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy