So, how would I prevent this 12v power supply from overheating... as I'm guessing the issue is that the power has no where to go and is just being held in the wires.
LOL, Whatever the root cause of your problem I can assure you that it's not because of anything being 'held in the wires' because it doesn't have anywhere to go.
Only with a posted schematic drawing of your complete wiring setup can anyone do more then a wild ass guess of what might be wrong.
Lmao, like I said I know nothing of circuits and I'm not even studying Electrical Engineering.
What is the spec of the 12V supply?
What is the rating of the desktop fan?
Is the supply powerful enough to drive the fan?
Bear in mind breadboard connections are good to 200mA to 500mA or so, put too much current
through and you'll ruin it - high current wiring best done with screw connector blocks which are
rated 5A, 10A etc.
BTW the common ground point is ideally at the motor driver since thats where signal levels meet high-current
Spec of 12v supply? I'm not sure... I'm using the one I posted which is 12 volts of power via 8 AA batteries.
Fan rating- it's a 12 volt DC fan, 0.16 A 3 wire red black yellow
Model #-CM A12025-12CB-3BN-F1
Yes the power supply is enough to drive the fan, it's 12 volts.
I'm curious in what usual case would the power supply overheat if a circuit is in the off position vs it's allowed to run?
Is there some sort of code that could stop the current from being drawn? I think when my switch is off, I'm drawing a current, but not doing anything with it.
Or perhaps this is a grounding issue? I noticed in the off position when I powered this off a 9v, the battery got fairly hot, but nothing was melting and the wires were fine.
Is it possible that the wires connected to the PSU are just shit? They do appear to have a smaller diameter than the ones I'm currently using in the rest of my circuit.