Go Down

Topic: Extend Flash Memory (Read 816 times) previous topic - next topic

American2020

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and to this Arduino World.

I'm really happy with my Arduino Nano with Atmega 328

But, what I first notice is that the 32Kb I have available for the code, isn't good at all. I can't believe that been in the 21 Century we don't have like 1 Gb available (dunno why this limitation)

My question is. Is there anyway to  increase the memory for the code? I know Arduino can read SD Cards, is it possible to put the code in the SD card and run the code from there? or a PenDrive, I dunno...

Same question but for the SRAM and EEPROM both looks like with a big code (or not so big really) both of them will collapse.

Thanks a lot, hope you can clarify my panorama.
My 3x3x3 Led Cube

[url=http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,1642

majenko

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and to this Arduino World.

I'm really happy with my Arduino Nano with Atmega 328

But, what I first notice is that the 32Kb I have available for the code, isn't good at all. I can't believe that been in the 21 Century we don't have like 1 Gb available (dunno why this limitation)

Cost.  If you want more, you buy a bigger, more expensive chip.  If you don't, you buy a cheaper chip with less.

My question is. Is there anyway to  increase the memory for the code? I know Arduino can read SD Cards, is it possible to put the code in the SD card and run the code from there? or a PenDrive, I dunno...

No.

Same question but for the SRAM and EEPROM both looks like with a big code (or not so big really) both of them will collapse.

Thanks a lot, hope you can clarify my panorama.

You can add EEPROM and SRAM as SPI or I²C peripherals - but you can't use the SRAM as if it were internal memory, but you have to manually reference addresses within it.
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

American2020

Thanks Majenko.

Is the bigger one the Arduino Mega with only 256 Kb? Or is something bigger out there?

Anyway 256 I think would be much better than the 32Kb on the Nano, so it would be a good alternative and give us much more options when coding.

Anyway, in an era where everything is on Gb I don't understand why we are counting with Kb  :smiley-roll:

Thanks again Majenko  :)
My 3x3x3 Led Cube

majenko

Thanks Majenko.

Is the bigger one the Arduino Mega with only 256 Kb? Or is something bigger out there?

Anyway 256 I think would be much better than the 32Kb on the Nano, so it would be a good alternative and give us much more options when coding.

Anyway, in an era where everything is on Gb I don't understand why we are counting with Kb  :smiley-roll:

Thanks again Majenko  :)

Yes, the mega2560 has 256kB of flash.  The DUE has 512kB.

Your computer may count in gigabytes, but an Arduino isn't a computer.  It's a microcontroller.  It does a different job.  When people need a computer, they use a computer.   When they only need something small that will do a small job, they don't use a computer - they use a microcontroller.  It is small, it has small resources, and it has a small price tag.

If you want bigger, you buy bigger.  You don't use a sledgehammer to crack a nut just because sledgehammers are the biggest things around.  You use the tool that is right for the job.  Similarly, you don't use a ball peen hammer to demolish a building.
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

American2020

:D

Lol that's true :)

My next step for sure then, it will be the Mega or the Due. With a friend we are going to turn an Arduino to be the "brain" of a Pinball :P

Hopefully we will get it working as we want.
My 3x3x3 Led Cube

Go Up