Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: demultiplexer inputs  (Read 950 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

can a demultiplexer take a time varying input such as a sine or square wave? I want to generate a square wave and control which load sees the square wave using a demultiplexer and a microcontroller (like an attiny)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Digital Demultiplexer like 74HC183 can have the square wave on one of the G inputs while the others are used to enable it out onto one of the 8 selected outputs.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74hc138.pdf

Similarly, a sine wave can be applied  to pin 3 of Analog Demultiplexer like 74HC4051, and E input used to enable it onto  one of 8 selected outputs.
The incoming sine wave will see the equivalent of 70 ohms series resistor,  which may impact the quality and/or level of the signal being used.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd74hc4051.pdf

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

the data sheet says that the demux can only output 4mA, I am trying to drive piezotransducer so this would most likely be problematic. Is a demux the wrong tool?

View Profile

I may be wrong, I dont know how much current a pzt will pull off the top of my head I would have to test the ones I currently have.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

the data sheet says that the demux can only output 4mA, I am trying to drive piezotransducer so this would most likely be problematic. Is a demux the wrong tool?
No the looks like it is the wrong demultiplexer, there are many makers, typically they can deliver 30mA but the seriese resistance varies dramatically from maker to maker.

London
View Profile

How many loads are you trying to drive, and what type of loads are you trying to use? You probably need some combination of a demux/switch and a power amp, but there are combined single chip solutions that may suit you.

View Profile

4-6 loads which are simply piezoelectric transducers. The input signal is a square wave with a peak-to-peak voltage of 45 V

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

4-6 loads which are simply piezoelectric transducers. The input signal is a square wave with a peak-to-peak voltage of 45 V
45V!!!!
You are not going to get that through a normal multiplexer. In general you can not switch signals that are outside the rail voltage of a chip.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: