Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: WS2801: Are the cheap RGB 5050 strips on eBay decent?  (Read 2543 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I'm looking for 5m of individually addressable RGB LEDS and I found some on eBay for about $85.  Has anyone else had any experience buying WS2801 5050 RGB LED strips on eBay?

This is the auction I'm referring to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/white-pcb-5m-ws2801-led-digital-strip-32pcs-IC-and-32pcs-5050-SMD-RGB-/121076155330?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c30b383c2&vxp=mtr 

Since adafruit and other sites sell these strips for $30/m, the eBay item is obviously a good deal.  But are they of comparable quality? 

Thanks!

Colorado
Edison Member
Reviving dead brain cells with Arduinos.
View Profile

That's the average pricing for them out of Shenzhen China, which is where that strip is getting sent from.  Economic shipping means up to 2 weeks.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Since adafruit and other sites sell these strips for $30/m, the eBay item is obviously a good deal.  But are they of comparable quality? 

The price per LED is actually about the same as adafruit. The $30/m strips have 60 LEDs per meter, those only have 32.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

View Profile

The price per LED is actually about the same as adafruit. The $30/m strips have 60 LEDs per meter, those only have 32.

So I guess a better comparison would be these from adafruit: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1138 for $40/m
With these from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5m-60-LED-m-RGB-LED-Light-Strip-5V-WS2811-WS2801-Waterproof-Addressable-Color-/150931961150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23243ef53e for $30/m

It seems like both are 60LEDs/m and waterproof etc so they should be comparable right?  Is there anything I should be looking to avoid or any specs or anything that are really important that I'm missing?  I don't see lumens or other brightness data on the adafruit page or on any of the ebay auctions, so can I assume they're all of comparable brightness?

I guess my main question is this: What makes the adafruit strips different or better than the cheaper chinese ones, that I'm not seeing?  Obviously the price difference here is because I would be buying in bulk (5m on ebay vs 1m on adafruit) so I'm just trying to make sure nothing else is substantially different.

Thanks

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

So I guess a better comparison would be these from adafruit:
With these from ebay:

Yep.

I guess my main question is this: What makes the adafruit strips different or better than the cheaper chinese ones, that I'm not seeing?  Obviously the price difference here is because I would be buying in bulk (5m on ebay vs 1m on adafruit) so I'm just trying to make sure nothing else is substantially different.

I don't know how much Adafruit charges for shipping but the prices look very similar to me (within 10% of each other). I'd be worried if it was half the price or something like that, but it isn't.

As far as I can tell, the LEDs with built-in WS2811s are only made by WS so those strips should be identical WRT brightness, etc.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

View Profile

I am going to drop by a huge building where all kinds of LEDs are traded here in Shenzhen, China and check them out, cool stuff :-)

Search for "mjkzz" on eBay :-)

View Profile

Found some strip driven by 1903, but these are configured as 3 LEDs per 1903.

Search for "mjkzz" on eBay :-)

View Profile

I just bought 20 M of WS2801 strips, 5 volt version,black pcb,with the silicone tube jacket, from ScottLED in Shenzen. That's (4) 5 M rolls. They all work perfectly. i didn't get it with the epoxy inside because it would be hard to cut and splice back together. Important note: the 5v versions are all the lower speed type. 12v is the high speed. Mine are updating at approx 44,000 + individual LEDs per second.

http://scottled.en.alibaba.com/product/725919541-214500503/led_strip_WS2801.html

I took a chance and didn't order through Alibaba, but I did use PayPal.

I emailed Scott Liu and he sent me an invoice that I paid with send money.
Took about a week and a half to arrive.
 I have one of the T1000-B controllers with SD card coming(from ScottLED) for use with some of them.
 The others are getting my own custom scrolling text program.
My price was $ 158.00 'ish including FEDEX. FOR 2 M.
Basically $16 / M.

I ordered 10 M. Scott accidently double shipped and I did the honorable thing and paid the Man for the
the 2nd set of 10M and I ordered the SD controller too.

I'm very happy with this outfit.

Alan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: