Go Down

Topic: Cant get VU meter and sin generator to work together. (Read 398 times) previous topic - next topic

shareefm

Mar 12, 2014, 05:12 pm Last Edit: Mar 12, 2014, 06:08 pm by shareefm Reason: 1
Hi, I'm trying to combine a sin wave generator and a VU meter. The problem is that the wave crested is distorted.

Code: [Select]

void loop() {
  long sumOfSquares = 0;

for (int i=0; i<numberOfSamples; i++) { //take many readings and average them
   sample = analogRead(1);             //take a reading
    signal1 = (sample - middleValue);      //work out its offset from the center
    signal2 = signal1 * signal1;                     //square it to make all values positive
   sumOfSquares += signal2;               //add to the total
  }
  averageReading = sumOfSquares/numberOfSamples;     //calculate running average
  runningAverage=(((averagedOver-1)*runningAverage)+averageReading)/averagedOver;

/* if (runningAverage>threshold){         //is average more than the threshold ?
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);          //if it is turn on the LED
  }else{
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);           //if it isn't turn the LED off
  } */
  Serial.println(runningAverage);        //print the value so you can check it
  //delay (10);

if (runningAverage > 0)
  {
    digitalWrite(led[1], HIGH);   
  }
  else { digitalWrite(led[1], LOW);}

Even when I disconnect all the LED's and the electret microphone I'm having this problem. There is something wrong with the code itself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Grumpy_Mike

Can't see any distortion.

Do you mean that double pulse at the end?
That is caused by a small delay between the cycles, probbly caused by the timer interrupt service routine.

Grumpy_Mike

anyway to remove it?

Well it is an artifact of your scope, there is no distortion just a time delay.

As you have not posted all of your code it is difficult to know if you are using the millis() timer. You could try disabling the interrupts.

Go Up