Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Heated water bowl for the backyard wildlife  (Read 1857 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Can't resist posting this.
On successive days I saw a squirrel and a feral cat getting water by licking ice in our backyard.
To provide a source of drinking water for all the assorted wildlife living out there or passing through, I built this heated water bowl.

A thin-film heater that I got as a trade show sample years ago and a TMP 37 temperature sensor are attached to the underside of a small, cheap stainless steel pet food bowl using Kapton tape.

A Duemilanove reads the sensor on A0, controls the 6.7 volts to the heater using an FET driven by D3, really all I changed in Brett Beauregard's excellent PID library sample code was the math to change from TMP 36 to TMP 37.

Water consumption and tracks found in snow indicate that a source of liquid water in midwinter is becoming very popular.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Very nice!

Now you need a camera with motion sensor to see who's drinking.

(and maybe a water level sensor+valve for automatic refill...)

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Great idea! well done.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

What a top idea - have you seen any wildlife taking up your kind offer of a drink?

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

View Profile

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words !

I thought of an automatic water-feed, but the freezing conditions would require a heated line and that just added too much complication for a project I wanted to deploy quickly.  Definitely in the works for next winter, though.  Same for the motion detector camera.

I have seen squirrels, a cat, and birds drinking in daylight hours ... heard sounds in the night, and seen lots of various tracks (raccoon and skunk for sure, maybe opossum)  when there is fresh snow in the morning.  Lots of takers too, the bowl typically needs refilling 2 or 3 times in 24 hours.

View Profile

Buy a man a hotpocket, feed him for a day. Teach a man to shock small critters unconscious with an arduino, feed him for a lifetime.  smiley-cool

The saying goes something like that. smiley-razz

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Teach a man to shock small critters unconscious with an arduino, feed him for a lifetime.  smiley-cool
Ah now I understand the motivation to water feral cats smiley-cool

Though I think they'll be a bit chewy...
Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

South UK
God Member
View Profile

very nice project! Looks like you power if from mains and have a transformer inside. have you measured power consumption at idle and with heat on?

Arduino - I have become the revolution.
View Profile

Awww  smiley-kitty<3

First we ignore them, then we make fun of them, then we fight them and then they win so let's cut the crap and just expose them for the corrupt liars they are.

BHZ, MG, Brazil
Android developer; Arduino enthusiast
View Profile

Very nice project!  People who care about animals are always good people. Congratulations, Sir!

Now to the tech stuff:
- Is the thin-film heater a Peltier plate ?
- What's with the black board (PSU?) in the left side in the last picture? What is there more than a power source?

Learn to live: Live to learn.
Showing off my work: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,126197.0.html

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

People who care about animals are always good people.

True.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

View Profile

Answers to questions above, not necessarily in order ....

- Not a Peltier device, just a resistance heating element, 7.2 ohms, made from fiberglass and silicone rubber.  The board on the left is an old linear power supply , modified to provide 6.7 volts DC, up to 3 amps.

- a few data points on power consumption;
   - during bench testing back in January, Arduino + heater drew 1.9 amps at 6.6 volts DC
   - Arduino + heater  + power supply measured yesterday with a P3 Kill-a-watt, 4 watts idle, 12 watts full load .  Version 2 will probably include a data logger.   

Oh, and so far no cats (or anything else) have been electrocuted !
Chewing on the line cord is about the only option for that, the cheap plastic enclosure has held up pretty well overall.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: