Go Down

Topic: Looking for good 6 pin connector options? (Read 857 times) previous topic - next topic

ccgibson

Hello, I've recently completed an arduino based LED project based upon a set of 5m LED strips with inline HL1606 chips.  This basically gives me serial control of a strip of LEDs.  

Now, my first version basically had my Arduino driving 4 independent strips, and I used the smaller molex (.062) connectors and I had a bad experience with them -- I don't think they are at all the right connector for the job.

Each strip basically has a ~30ft cable with 2 16 gauge power lines (running ~5V, 2A) and then I use a regular CAT3 cable for the 4 data lines (pulse, data, clock, latch).

So for each strip I'll need 4 connectors (arduino housing, cable end, cable end, strip end).   A friend of mine suggested 7 pin XLR cables (like the kind used for tube microphones) and I thought that was a good suggestion.  This project is mainly used for lighting bands at concerts, so I'd like something that is fairly durable.  

Any suggestions?   I get quite overwhelmed when paging through the connector options at digikey, jameco, etc, etc.

thx,
-chad

ccgibson

I need to deliver 6 pins to each strip, so in that case I'd need 2 XLR connectors at each strip end.

power, ground, data, pulse, latch, clock

-chad

digimike

How about something like this.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Tuchel/T-3424-501/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvf6myxbP4FpDJYY7d64fyYjuqPt%252b541n8%3d

If that doesn't work for you then maybe one of these will.
http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Connectors/_/N-76q5g/

ccgibson

ah.. those are great options.  Thanks digimike!

Ran Talbott

If all you want is a "good" (rather than "great") connector,  you can get somewhat-lower quality DINs much cheaper at BG Micro.  Other surplus dealers should have some,  too,  but BG happens to have pretty much all flavors of 5- and 6-pin.

But,  if you're going to be doing a lot of concerts,  you'll probably be happier using something like these.  They're more durable than DIN connectors.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy