Go Down

Topic: Does serial buffer discard old data when buffer is full and new data comes? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

liudr

I have some serial sensors that are free running. They power up and start sending data to my MEGA. I have thought that all serial buffers will discard one oldest byte and take in a new byte when the ring buffer is full. My test today kind of indicates differently. Am I correct in assuming the buffer discard old and takes in new when it is full? Thanks.

retrolefty

I have some serial sensors that are free running. They power up and start sending data to my MEGA. I have thought that all serial buffers will discard one oldest byte and take in a new byte when the ring buffer is full. My test today kind of indicates differently. Am I correct in assuming the buffer discard old and takes in new when it is full? Thanks.

It's a software circular buffer (using a head and tail pointer with a fixed sized array) in the serial library so if it gets full and another characters arrives it should just overwrite the oldest character in the buffer with the new character I would think.

Lefty

liudr

Lefty,

So if I send 12345 and the buffer is only 4 bytes long then I get 5234? Thanks. I will have to try it tomorrow. Too late tonight.

BenF

In version 0022 (copy of source below) a character received when the buffer is full will be lost/ignored.

Code: [Select]

// if we should be storing the received character into the location
  // just before the tail (meaning that the head would advance to the
  // current location of the tail), we're about to overflow the buffer
  // and so we don't write the character or advance the head.
  if (i != rx_buffer->tail) {
    rx_buffer->buffer[rx_buffer->head] = c;
    rx_buffer->head = i;
  }

So in the example of a 4 byte buffer and receiving 12345, we would read this as 1234 an remain "happily" unaware of the 5th character received.

liudr

Thanks BenF. I dug into the Arduino 1.0 code and found the LightWeightRingBuffer.h

Code: [Select]
static inline void RingBuffer_Insert(RingBuff_t* const Buffer,
                                     const RingBuff_Data_t Data)
{
*Buffer->In = Data;

if (++Buffer->In == &Buffer->Buffer[BUFFER_SIZE])
  Buffer->In = Buffer->Buffer;

ATOMIC_BLOCK(ATOMIC_RESTORESTATE)
{
Buffer->Count++;
}
}

So I guess the new does replace the old in a rotating ring buffer.

Go Up