Which recomended data output?

hi.
My first real Arduino project i am busy with is a weather station.
ultimately, what i would like it to do is gather enviromental data via sensors, and then either store that data by logging it and then i could dial into it from the web,
or send that data to a server some where, were it can be processed and logged.
i would then like to make use of that data in meaningful ways by being able to select data at will from a specified period and have it displayed back to me.
for example; say i want to find out what was the temperature for the month of February and view the data in the following ways;

1. display the hottest day in Feb
  2. display the coldest day in Feb
  3. display the avg temperature for the whole of Feb
    My question is; should i be logging that data on a SD card on the actual weather station, and then only have the weather station send the requested data for the specified time period to the server when i log into my web page.
    or should i have the weather station automatically periodicaly (say every 15min) send the updated logged data to the server (say my PC) so that the data is actually stored onto my PC and then have my web page request the data from my PC for the specified or period?

There are several ways of doing this. I would run a database. Send the data from the arduino to the PC/Webserver and get the PC/Webserver to log the data into the database. The data could be send, as you say, every 15 minuttes but altso on request. So lets say you are looking at the data. You could send a command to get the Arduino to send it every 5seconds while watching data (or something like that).

When you have the data in a database, there are so many ways of showing data and you can store a huge amount of data without being afraid of them getting corrupt on the SDCARD or something.

jasonvanwyk:
My question is; should i be logging that data on a SD card on the actual weather station,

Yes, of course, amongst other things.

On-site recording to SD is the bleeding obvious for remote operations. After that, you do what you think most appropriate.

lol - yes of course, thanks mate.

My question is; should i be logging that data on a SD card on the actual weather station, and then only have the weather station send the requested data for the specified time period to the server when i log into my web page.
or should i have the weather station automatically periodicaly (say every 15min) send the updated logged data to the server (say my PC) so that the data is actually stored onto my PC and then have my web page request the data from my PC for the specified or period?

A mixed approach might work. Store the data on the SD card and push it to the server periodically. The server can do the heavy lifting on the data presentation, but you keep the data saved on the SD card until you get the chance to send it. This way, if the server's down for any reason, you won't lose any of your data.