Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Ohm's Law  (Read 2348 times)
South Texas
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey, I remember when Hertz was what it did after your took an inside pitch to the head. It was Cycles Per Second, up until the 70's. smiley-wink

Evidently there was a lot of resistance to changing from CPS to Hz. I remember a tongue-in-cheek article in QST magazine about how to convert cycles-per-second to Hertz, complete with nomographs.

My US college text books in the early 80's used V=IR, and that's what I've used ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

I can't find an explanation of why I for current tho.  Like many things, it was defined well before my time smiley-cool
I was told that "i" was already used for "imaginary" number in mathematics and since that comes into play in AC circuits another symbol was chosen.  The wiki thing sounds reasonable too.  Who knows? 

EEs use "j" for the square root of -1 instead of "i" to avoid confusion with current.

Except that i, j & k are the imaginary part of vectors and match up with X, Y & Z, a vector was commonly written as (X + i, Y + j, Z + k).

So you have to be careful how you use them as you might just be sending some other message. Like trying to speak English with an English man, and Irish man, and American, an Aussie & an Kiwi. Lots of talk but little comprehension...

View Profile

Well as a measure of the rate of change of frequency, Hz / sec would make sense  smiley-cool, just like m/s2 for linear acceleration.
Well, as you age, hurts per second makes perfect sense.

Croatia
God Member
View Profile

What do you know... I'm absent for a day and entire page of answers greets me. smiley
Interesting to hear others having come across different notation, too.

I don't know why this region decided to use U; it probably comes from notation for potential energy (which, by the way, I was always thought to be Ep and nothing else).
In any case, it strikes me as beneficial not to use same letter for physical quantity and the unit of that physical quantity.

Edison Member
View Profile

Why?

In "Elements of Programming Style", Kernighan and Plauger point out many example programs (from textbooks!) that confuse E and V and get the values wrong accordingly.

Croatia
God Member
View Profile

I would sooner attribute that to the lack of properly established standard, than to usage of any particular letter.

Johannesburg. UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile

In any case, it strikes me as beneficial not to use same letter for physical quantity and the unit of that physical quantity.

Yes, but abbreviations aside, it is a peculiarity of the quantity Voltage that its measure is Volts; Power isn't measured in Powers, nor do we measure mass in masses. Although we do... damn.... atomic mass units. Oh and to complicate things further, we do sometimes talk of amperage. and Wattage. Although the latter usually refers to a capacity not the actula value at an instant.

This is more complicated than I thought, so as soon as my son comes in from night-shift I'm going back to bed....

The Elders of the Internet know who I am
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Why?

In "Elements of Programming Style", Kernighan and Plauger point out many example programs (from textbooks!) that confuse E and V and get the values wrong accordingly.
How can you get the answer wrong by confusing E and V, all the other quantities in the formular are the same?

Croatia
God Member
View Profile

it is a peculiarity of the quantity Voltage that its measure is Volts

Not in all languages. For example:
In Croatian quantity is "Napon", unit is still "Volt". Also, in Croatian, current (the thing measured in A is called "Jakost", which would translate to "Strength".
In German "Spannung" / "Volt"
In French "Tension / "Volt"
In Chinese, according to Google Translate, 電壓 (prononced something like "tiamya") / 伏特 (prononced something like "fut h")

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I think William Shakespeare said:-

A volt by any other name would still cause an amp to flow through a resistance of one ohm. 

W9LZ
View Profile

Writers are into poems not ohms. smiley-roll

Worst state in America
God Member
View Profile

Must be a language thing. It was always E = I * R to me. E (Electromotive force [emf]) equals I (represented by current in amperes) * Resistance (in ohms).  It's all good.

Me too. Voltage to me is "E", not "V".

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Faraday Member
View Profile

I use V for voltage  and E for electromotive force.

W9LZ
View Profile

If you found yourself across 440 3 phase, do you think about V or E?

Edison Member
View Profile

How can you get the answer wrong by confusing E and V, all the other quantities in the formular are the same?

They initilialized E, and used V for the Loop. Since it was FORTRAN, declaration was not required.

IDF/SO
Edison Member
View Profile

Have a look at :
http://www.metricationmatters.com/docs/MetricationTimeline.pdf

This book was writen in english and explain how the actual international system (SI in french and IS in english) was create.
1) At the begining was american scientists (Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Georges Washington) and some French scientists.
2) The american scientists fail to convince the U.S people  to use their system.
3) French-Revolutionary scientists continue to develop it and succeed to apply it.

The first main international système unity was named  "mksA" :
m for meter
k for kilo gramme
s for second
A for ampères

All others unity derivate from this four mains.
Now the name of the official system was Système International (SI) ( IS in english ) and head-quater was always in "Pavillon de Sèvres" (France).

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: