Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Proximity approximation using RFM22B possible?  (Read 256 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a project that I need to approximate a secure/cost effective active RFID system.  The active RFID solutions out there are either too expensive, not secure or bit arduino friendly.  I was wondering if it was possible to use a pair 433MHz RFM22B boards and calculate an approximate distance between the two? (Assuming that any obstructions of the signal line of sight will be constant).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:25:38 am by scott_fx » Logged

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Assuming that any obstructions of the signal line of sight will be constant
Right off the bat, you make an invalid assumption.

The RFM22B appears to have RSSI capabilities. The signal strength is not an accurate measure of distance. It is, in fact, influenced by many things, with distance being a less important factor than things like power supply voltage, signal interference caused by noise, and solar radiation.

If you have COMPLETE control over the environment in which the generated signal and the received signal exist, then RSSI will give you a rough measure of distance (rough being near, not too near, a long ways away, etc.; not 1 inch, 4 inches, 24 inches).

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Well. What I need to figure out is then I'm within a ~1.5m of the transceiver or less. Is there another way of figuring that out?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Is there another way of figuring that out?
That depends in whether the two devices are line-of-sight and whether or not they both participate in determining the distance.

There is no easy way, using radios alone, to measure distance. There isn't even a hard way.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing. Is there a way of dialing back the effective range of that module to only transmit at a distance of ~1.5m

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing. Is there a way of dialing back the effective range of that module to only transmit at a distance of ~1.5m
By using an appropriate (poorly designed, by intent) antenna, you could ensure that the radios could not transmit and receive while more than some distance apart. The radios would have to be sending, and receiving, continuously, in order for you to detect a loss of signal. Even then, you can't assume that the other device moved out of range. Its overworked battery might have simply died.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thank you for the help.   To prolong life I was thinking about only having it transmit data every 500ms until it was in range. Then after that it could wait every 5000ms to verify if it still was in range. I think that should extend the life of the battery.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: