Go Down

Topic: The spinning tube trick. (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

Ok just watched the solution and under glass video. I can't understand the under glass result. Maybe the lack of friction but I thought the conclusion was not conclusive.

GoForSmoke

Ok just watched the solution and under glass video. I can't understand the under glass result. Maybe the lack of friction but I thought the conclusion was not conclusive.

XD Okay wise guy, try this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0SZZTBQmEs
I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

liudr

This second one is hard without looking at a solution. This behaves similar to water in a spinning bucket, where center of mass moves upwards. I'm not sure how to explain this one.

GoForSmoke

This behaves similar to water in a spinning bucket, where center of mass moves upwards.

Easy to intuit that added energy must do something. Now hold the bucket steady and spin the stars... I'm sure there's a version of that involving the hair of a blonde while the world turns around her.

I'm not sure how to explain this one.

Neither did the PHD physics teacher! He was able to break it down a bit on ice though.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

liudr

We have a few those PHD types at work. I will see if there are any takers for this question. You can't spin stars. Only bucket. Since you can tell you are spinning or not spinning, spinning or not can't be taken as relative as you move forward and stars move backward.

Go Up