Go Down

Topic: Difference between "Serial Programmer" and "ISP serial programmer" (Read 576 times) previous topic - next topic

stroccia

Hi all,
I'm a newbie in Atmel world, so I'm still trying to understand...
Imagine I have a PC with Linux and a serial port. As I understood, I can program an Atmel AVR (without bootloader) through the serial port but I find in internet two kind of programmers:
1) Serial programmers: very simple and cheap (few components);
2) ISP(In System Programmer) serial programmers: built using micro-controllers (Atmel) loaded with certain software.

Could someone explain to me the difference , and what kind of software is loaded in ISP serial programmers?

Thanks.
Stroccia

fungus

I'm a newbie in Atmel world, so I'm still trying to understand...
Imagine I have a PC with Linux and a serial port. As I understood, I can program an Atmel AVR (without bootloader) through the serial port

No, the chip needs a bootloader.

This is the function of a bootloader - to allow you to program the chip with just a serial port.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

westfw

A "serial programmer" is a device programmer that connects to your PC using the serial port.
an "In-circuit Serial Programmer" (ISP) is a device programmer that connects to the AVR via the ISP pins.
A programmer can be both - connecting to the PC via a serial port and connecting to the AVR via ISP (and this is pretty common, especially if you include USB/Serial converters as "PC Serial Ports"), or it can be neither, like a high-voltage parallel programmer that connects to the PC via USB and to the AVR in parallel programming mode.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy