Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Official WiFi Shield won't connect  (Read 458 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I'm trying to connect the official Arduino Wifi Shield, mounted on an Uno R3, to a WPA2 network.  I'm using the standard ConnectWithWPA sketch with the appropriate SSID and password details.

However when I run the sketch, I get the "Attempting to connect..." message over and over again.  If I look at the shield itself, the red error light is illuminated from just after power up, then the green link LED will light up for a few seconds, before reverting to red again.  The green light doesn't come back, even briefly, unless the board is reset.

Reading around, some people have said that the originally released firmware was buggy so I've flashed it with the latest firmware for both antenna and shield from GitHub, trying both the master and the udp_dev branches.  Same results in both cases.

Can someone please give me some pointers here?  It is a very frustrating that an relatively expensive piece of kit doesn't work out of the box, let alone after a day or two of Googling, etc.

Many thanks,
James

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Might be good to print out 'status' after each attempt.

255 WL_NO_SHIELD
0 WL_IDLE_STATUS
1 WL_NO_SSID_AVAIL
2 WL_SCAN_COMPLETED
3 WL_CONNECTED
4 WL_CONNECT_FAILED
5 WL_CONNECTION_LOST
6 WL_DISCONNECTED

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

I think the problem is in the WiFi library itself.  For example, this code:

Code:
status = WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);
Serial.println("test");
doesn't even print "test" most of the time.

However when it does past this, I get status = 4 WL_CONNECT_FAILED.

View Profile

I think I found the problem: a bad router.  By default, our Netgear VMDG280 was set to 802.11n mode by default (up to 300 MB/s) and doesn't have any explicit options about 802.11b/g backwards compatibility.  However if I manually set it to 802.11 b/g (up to 145 MB/s) then everything works fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: