Go Down

Topic: Is my Ping sensor broken? (Read 744 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm working towards a close deadline for an installation where I was planning to use a Ping sensor with an Arduino. The sensor seemed to be ok with initial testing, but now I can't get anything sensible out of it for ranges from 50 cm and up. I get a lot of noise, mostly maximum value readouts. Closer then 50cm it seems to work reliably. Is my sensor broken, or is it really that flaky above this range? I need to detect the distance to a human body with it.

I'm testing it by hovering with my hand above it, but I've tried bigger objects without much luck. It seems that if I use something flat like a book, and I make sure the surface is ortogonal to the direction of the sensor it is not giving me noise, but how is that useful in real-life situations? :-/

I need to decide within 12h if I have to order a new one or ditch the sensor all together, so I'm getting nervous by these recent findings. I know there are better more accurate ones with larger ranges as well, but they use a I2C interface which will add a lot of extra work for someone with my experience I fear.

What are your experiences with the Ping sensor?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131