Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Newbie with Mega upload problems  (Read 783 times)
Wellard, Western Australia
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a Mega, and am using W7-64
Several weeks ago I suddenly got the dreaded “avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout”, which means I can’t upload anything.  I have:
•   Bought a brand new Mega (just uploading to the bare board, no wires or shields) and cable,
•   Checked board and port in “Tools”,
•   Nominated Arduino to pass through W. firewall,
•   Loaded latest 1.0.5-r2,
•   Tried different computers,
•   Battled with com port numbering for many long hours,
•   Checked with Vipre that no nasties are lurking, and
•   Read everything I can from the Forum.
Any suggestions to help me upload would be most welcome.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Is this a problem with every sketch, including the basic "Blink" sketch?

What exactly do the three LED's on the Arduino do when you attempt an upload?

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

Thanks -

Problem is the same whatever the sketch - I'm using Blink here.

Plugging in my original Ethernet board (I haven't been able to confirm my new Mega actually works yet!), the blue LED13 comes on and stays on.

I check board (Arduino Ethernet) and port (COM7).. Verify is good. 

Clicking Upload results in green Tx LED flashing 3 times.  Yellow Rx LED does not come on at all.

Resultant message is "Binary sketch size: 1,084 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00"

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Clicking Upload results in green Tx LED flashing 3 times.  Yellow Rx LED does not come on at all.

Sounds like the Arduino MEGA is faulty.  The three flashes would be the PC sending upload commands to the MEGA.  The lack of response indicates that the MEGA did not recognize and respond to the commands.

Is your Arduino MEGA the Arduino MEGA 2560 or the older Arduino MEGA (with ATmega1280 processor)?  They have different bootloaders using different baud rates.  Couldn't hurt to try the other Board setting in case the bootloader is wrong.

View Profile

Sorry - as I said, my previous post was with my Ethernet, not my Mega "Lseeduino MEGA 2560".  I bought the latter in desperation when nothing worked!  When I repeat previous procedure with the Mega (set to Mega 2560, and COM5), I get the same result but without any of the 3 LEDs flashing at all.

In short, I'm now the proud owner of 3 Arduinos, none of which works.  The common factors are me and my computer.  Help.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

On the Arduino Ethernet, what are you using for the USB-to-Serial adapter?

On the Arduino MEGA 2560 clone the fact that none of the lights do anything indicates that there is no communication.  Usually that means you selected the wrong serial port.

View Profile

Confused - you say "what are you using for the USB-to-Serial adapter?" - I looked up Arduino adapters, which seem to be all about voltage-level shifting, presumably in connection with breadboard experiments - my Ethernet and Mega both come with USB sockets, and a USB lead, presumably to connect straight to my computer - have I got this wrong?

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Confused - you say "what are you using for the USB-to-Serial adapter?" -  my Ethernet and Mega both come with USB sockets, and a USB lead, presumably to connect straight to my computer - have I got this wrong?

The official "Arduino Ethernet" (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardEthernet) doesn't
have a USB connector.  What board do you have?

View Profile

Understood.

My "Ethernet" is really an freetronics "Etherten" as shown here: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4216.  As you can see from the jpg it has a mini-USB on-board.  I called it an Ethernet as it's the only board nominated by 1.0.5-r2 containing the word "Ether" - it worked fine for 6 months until recently.

I've tried loading Blink having nominated all 27 different boards 1.0.5-r2 offers - with the board powered by the USB plus external supply (just to be sure!) but apart from the triple Rx LED flashes (and a twitch every 10 seconds), all I get is the error message.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

The EtherTen schematic (http://www.practicalarduino.com/freetronics/EtherTen-schematic-worksheet.pdf) shows that they are using the ATmega8u2 as the USB-to-Serial chip.  If that firmware has gotten damaged You may be able to recover by re-uploading the firmware.  See: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: