Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
Author Topic: Your last purchase?  (Read 17330 times)
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The 2.4 should have none of those problems, and should also have a better range with better picture, but I haven't tested those yet, but when my new wifitank is running, that will be the next thing I replace on it.

Some of those camera kits look similar to what I bought (though, once again, I don't recall if mine was a 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz; it might be that the 900/2.4 are frequencies for the US, while 1.2 GHz is for other countries?).

Something I recently bought with the intent of using it on my UGV project in the future was this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-9100A-PLUS-N&cat=VID

It allows you to plug in four regular cameras (composite video) and view them via a built-in webserver over wired ethernet. Its powered off of a 5V 1A DC wall-wart (cameras are powered separately). Since my UGV has an 802.11g router/hub, I can easily plug it in (and power won't be an issue, since I'll have some fairly large 12 volt SLAs on-board).

Something to play with, anyhow!

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

Something I recently bought with the intent of using it on my UGV project in the future was this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-9100A-PLUS-N&cat=VID

It allows you to plug in four regular cameras (composite video) and view them via a built-in webserver over wired ethernet. Its powered off of a 5V 1A DC wall-wart (cameras are powered separately). Since my UGV has an 802.11g router/hub, I can easily plug it in (and power won't be an issue, since I'll have some fairly large 12 volt SLAs on-board).

Something to play with, anyhow!
I got one of those (just in metal chasing), but the original firmware on them sux, so instead I uploaded the yoics 9100a firmware instead.
The camera on my wifitank is also running through that. smiley

Blue box smiley-wink

All my cameras are powered through the wire (only the one on the tank is wireless), and the switchmode power supply in the upper left corner is powering all of them.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:25:19 pm by bld » Logged

captain-slow.dk | non contagious!

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

I got one of those (just in metal chasing), but the original firmware on them sux, so instead I uploaded the yoics 9100a firmware instead.

Interesting - do you have a link or such describing the process (and/or why the original firmware stinks)? If it is really bad (I haven't even tried mine yet), updating it would be worth it...

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

First problem was that it was impossible to get a single image out, all images was handled by the same cgi file (which is still an option with the new firmware too), next problem for me was very unstable, it could sometimes stop responding for like a minute, then run fine again for a random amount of time.

And to update to the other firmware, simply go to their website, see what version they recommend, then go to the cameraserver's gui, and upload the firmware just like if it was the original firmware... job done smiley

I am using all cameras I got through php http://bld.is-a-geek.com/webcam/ the reason I am doing it like this is that there are issues with the security. Because in the original there are no option for password protection... With the new firmware there are password protection, but only way to see the images is then to log in.

So by having php process it, there are no direct connection from the device to the internet.

And doing that with most things I do smiley-wink Running it through php makes it much harder to abuse, because if someone wants to "hack" it, they actually needs to hack linux and the apache webserver, not the thing I made which might be potentially more vulnerable to such attacks.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:53:33 pm by bld » Logged

Holland
Arduino likes cookies too
View Profile

Out of curiosity, bld, how did you get the video output from one of those camera's on the web?
Dealextreme does have several wifi camera's, but it appears they have several issues (browser support being one of em?)?
Mostly looking to see whether it is affordable to splurge even more on my bot  smiley-razz

If this derails this topic a bit too much, I wouldn't mind discussing it through pm's either (though I'm sure there are others that would be interested). Perhaps a dedicated topic is in order?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

With the new firmware there are password protection, but only way to see the images is then to log in.

Do they leave a way to bypass this with the new firmware, so that you get the better stability of the new firmware, with the ability to run it "wide open"? I need to basically have it wide open to stream the data from the cameras to (ultimately) OpenCV for processing it (I imagine I could use curl or something to log in for me, but that's just an extra step that isn't needed - I don't need the security like you do, since the box will be behind the router, with WEP, MAC locking, and ultimately SSL encryption to the external browser).

Thanks for the info!

smiley

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I got my printer today, and yea its big (but it does have a flatbed in it) but overall I am impressed by it (for an inkjet) its a little slow with color, but faster than most inkjets I have delt with, and pretty darn fast with text

both have excelent quality from what I can tell (rather not burn up 50 bucks worth of ink doing extensive test) and its built pretty well for a modern printer

wifi is idiot proof, and I am off to install it in linux  smiley

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

Out of curiosity, bld, how did you get the video output from one of those camera's on the web?
Just made a post on my blog about it smiley
http://bld.is-a-geek.com/2010/12/29/having-an-live-webcam-stream-from-an-arduino-controlled-robot/

California
That's me, the boy with the broken halo.
View Profile

Not Arduino/electronics but thought most would like this anyway.  Last thing I bought was a clear disc golf disc that I dyed Boba Fett onto.

Not sure if I can bring myself to throw it...

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

clear disc golf disc
That like a frizbee? smiley-wink

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

doesn't look like a pie to me

California
That's me, the boy with the broken halo.
View Profile

Yeah, it's like a frizbee, but they've been built to fly 400/500 feet (pros get them out to 800-ish feet!).  They make them out of a bunch of different plastics and some take Rit dye well so people like to put art on them.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

doesn't look like a pie to me
Pie?

Don't make me hungry after midnight...

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisbie_Pie_Company  smiley-wink

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Just got these 2 albums.
Have listened to the Live in Japan album, very nice. Have not opened the 2nd yet.  Both came with DVDs as well.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
Jump to: