Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: DIY recharging a battery  (Read 1042 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am using this circuit without the diode. My resistor is 50 ohms, Can it charge a four cell, 4.8 volt, 300mAH, Ni-MH battery? My input voltage is about 18 volts. Any help? I am not sure how long to leave the battery charging or anything about this. Thank you

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

In conjunction with your other post about these cells, this sounds even LESS likely.
Last time they were 500 or 250 mAH. If they really are 300 mAH cells, they are
more likely to be Nicad rather than NiMH.

Secondly, your charger is going to be driving 1.2V/50ohm = 24 mA into the cells. If
they are 300 mAH, it'll take about 300mAH/24mA = 12 hrs or more to charge. This
isn't really the best sort of charger for either NiMH or Nicad. Commercial chargers
have a lot more electronics inside.

However, you really need to figure out what you have here. Knowing any of these will
help a lot.

AA, AAA, 1/2 AA cells?
NiMh or actually Nicad?
The actual mAH rating.

View Profile

The op has his charger set to output 360 ma 18/50 = .360 amps divided by  cels 4 is 90ma a cel.
It will take 3.3 hours to charge and he better keep a eye on it there not anything to stop it from over charging.

Once the pack hits 5.6 volts you'll need to stop changing the pack. Thats if it is Ni-MH

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:59:39 pm by be80be » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

The op has his charger set to output 360 ma 18/50 = .360 amps divided by  cels 4 is 90ma a cel.
It will take 3.3 hours to charge and he better keep a eye on it there not anything to stop it from over charging.

Once the pack hits 5.6 volts you'll need to stop changing the pack. Thats if it is Ni-MH

Wrong.
The four cells being charged are wired in series, Whatever amount of current that is leaving the regulator, each and every cell is also having that same amount of current passing through them. That is one of Kirchoff's laws, current is a series circuit is the same at every point in the circuit.

Lefty

View Profile

I don't think that's for charging batteries.
At any node (junction) in an electrical circuit, the sum of currents flowing into that node is equal to the sum of currents flowing out of that node, or:

That word sum means you added some thing to get a total in this case we are charging 4 cels we only have a set current of 360 and each will charge to that just like a cap 

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

I don't think that's for charging batteries.
At any node (junction) in an electrical circuit, the sum of currents flowing into that node is equal to the sum of currents flowing out of that node, or:

That word sum means you added some thing to get a total in this case we are charging 4 cels we only have a set current of 360 and each will charge to that just like a cap  

Your making little sense. The circuit shown can only charge all four cells at the same identical current rate, there is no 'division' of current for each cell as there is only one current path for the current to flow through.

Lefty

Faraday Member
View Profile

Lefty is right.  Look at the OP's diagram.   Whatever the current is, coming out of the regulator,  it is going through all four cells before it goes to ground.    No division into quarters anywhere in that diagram.

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

Would be nice if someone would verify that the charging current for the ckt as
shown is about 24 mA.

texas
God Member
old, but not dead
View Profile

Would be nice if someone would verify that the charging current for the ckt as
shown is about 24 mA.

I believe that is correct.  As long as R is 50 ohms, then the output current of the regulator is 1.2V/50 = 24mA.

Here is a nifty calculator:
http://english.cxem.net/calc/lm317_calc.php

Going to a 13 ohm resistor would increase current to almost 100mA.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:44:09 am by afremont » Logged

Experience, it's what you get when you were expecting something else.

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

I have already written all about this topic in another thread - I'm not going to write it all again, so I suggest you read what I wrote elsewhere:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,156226.msg1170598.html#msg1170598

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

I have already written all about this topic in another thread - I'm not going to write it all again, so I suggest you read what I wrote elsewhere:

Very good write up. I would only add the information that some 'fast chargers' monitor the battery terminal voltage while charging and can tell when the cell(s) have reached full charge and either turn off the charger or switch to a C/20 or so 'trickle charge'. These are/were called 'peak chargers' in the R/C hobby world. There are also even more advance chargers that can fully charge a battery pack then discharge them into a resistant load and actually measure the mAH that the battery held, these were/are called cycle chargers by some manufactures.

Lefty

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

Very good write up. I would only add the information that some 'fast chargers' monitor the battery terminal voltage while charging and can tell when the cell(s) have reached full charge and either turn off the charger or switch to a C/20 or so 'trickle charge'. These are/were called 'peak chargers' in the R/C hobby world. There are also even more advance chargers that can fully charge a battery pack then discharge them into a resistant load and actually measure the mAH that the battery held, these were/are called cycle chargers by some manufactures.

Lefty
Yeah, at the time I wrote that I didn't need to go into charge termination detection techniques etc.  I know "peak charger" as a "delta peak" charger - one of the two main types of fast charger; the other being "delta time" - charge at a high current for a specific time.

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

Yeah, at the time I wrote that I didn't need to go into charge termination detection techniques etc.  I know "peak charger" as a "delta peak" charger - one of the two main types of fast charger; the other being "delta time" - charge at a high current for a specific time.

OP should spend some time with google, learning about battery chemistry, basics of
electronics design, and proper design of chargers.

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

OP should spend some time with google, learning about battery chemistry, basics of
electronics design, and proper design of chargers.
Or just some time on Battery University...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: