Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Looks like we have clones that look real  (Read 10647 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Just because it's sold on ebay doesn't necessary mean it's a ripoff clone. The Due
site does look like an "official" distributor, and it should be easy to check, since all the
references are stated  plainly.

So that means that nearly all of the boards you see on eBay are clones.
This divides into approximately three types:
1) Value-added clones.  ...
2) Minimal-effort clones.  ...
3) Deceptive clones. ...
There is another phenomenon which is VERY prevalent, although not specifically a cloned
ripoff board. This is that many many products are listed with the word "Arduino" in the
title, even though they have absolutely nothing to do with Arduino, other than being some
sort of electronics board that could be connected to an Arduino, just like to anything else.

Obviously, these people are simply using the word Arduino to help their products pop up
in web searches. Also, a big PITN.

I've found that useful and even fun when just 'window shopping' on E-bay for bargains and things I didn't know existed that might be useful in arduino projects. But there is no pleasing all the people all the time.  smiley-wink

Lefty

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Just because it's sold on ebay doesn't necessary mean it's a ripoff clone. The Due site does look like an "official" distributor, and it should be easy to check, since all the references are stated plainly.

Either they are selling counterfeits or an old prototype / very earlier version...

• Wrong number of USB connectors
• Processor is in a different orientation
• DUE label is in the wrong place
• Second six pin header is missing
• Erase button is missing
• Several labels are in the wrong place and have the wrong font
• Little "Arduino" is missing the "TM" (I highly doubt the Arduino folks would get that wrong)
• "Arduino" is printed on the board too many times
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:44:23 pm by Coding Badly » Logged

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

(of course, the pictures in an eBay listing don't always match the actual product shipped, either.)

Gujarat, India
"Priority + Dedication = Satisfaction + Success"
View Profile

Why the Arduino community do not do anything against the clones (or fully-prepared high level clones..)..???
An effective solution should be discussed and applied to stop this bluff...

(FYI : a friend of mine, just has got a clone for the equal amount (or a few less) of $ to the genuine one, from the local distributor..)

BHZ, MG, Brazil
Android developer; Arduino enthusiast
View Profile

I got mine from china knowing it was a clone. It does NOT say Made in China. It works beautifully, so there are no complaints there.

I have however, been using a clone I built myself:

and I am very proud of my own clone. there is no USB interface on it, so I use it with a FTDI adapter.

Learn to live: Live to learn.
Showing off my work: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,126197.0.html

Gujarat, India
View Profile

@AlxDroidDev
Nice to see you clone with FTDI instead of USB.
Making ur own clones is such a nice thing.

But i said to them who make clones with their own parts and design it exactly the same as Arduino boards
and even sell it under the name "Arduino uno R3", without declaring their boards as clones.

The name Arduino can't be used as the product name of others according to privacy rules of the Arduino.
So it should not be accepted by us and have to stop them making and selling Copy-versions of Arduino with the name "ARDUINO".
That would be surely benefited to our community and the people would get the genuine board of named Arduino.
Many people are still confused for whether they have clone (fake) Arduino or the genuine one.
I hope some effective ideas may be discussed here for solution of this problem.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

(FYI : a friend of mine, just has got a clone for the equal amount (or a few less) of $ to the genuine one, from the local distributor..)

Please report the trademark violation...

Trademark Violations
If you would like to report a trademark violation please contact trademark (at) arduino.cc

...from http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ContactUs

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have however, been using a clone I built myself:

and I am very proud of my own clone. there is no USB interface on it, so I use it with a FTDI adapter
Alx, I like your board. Looks like you learned a lot. What are the 2 DIP8 chips, I can't make
out the labels? If one is a voltage regulator, you do seem to be missing some filter capacitors.
Not only did you build an Arduino-"compatible", but you added some extra features to it.

BHZ, MG, Brazil
Android developer; Arduino enthusiast
View Profile

Alx, I like your board. Looks like you learned a lot. What are the 2 DIP8 chips, I can't make
out the labels? If one is a voltage regulator, you do seem to be missing some filter capacitors.
Not only did you build an Arduino-"compatible", but you added some extra features to it.

Thanks!

Those 2 ICs are indeed voltage regulators, for 5V (MAX603) and 3.3V (MAX604). The white jumper specifies the power source (external or from the USB adapter). That [en/dis]ables the MAX603. The MAX604 is always active to supply 3.3V to whatever needs it.

I agree some filter and bypass capacitors should have been placed. They'll be there in version 2!

Learn to live: Live to learn.
Showing off my work: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,126197.0.html

Gujarat, India
View Profile

Trademark Violations
If you would like to report a trademark violation please contact trademark (at) arduino.cc
Thanks for sharing...
I will give it a shot for sure...

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Good Looking board... Really. Things like that, Not quite professional but obviously functional and well used, Serve as inspiration for me and many I know primarily because the boards look approachable, do-able, some how or way. They are really kind of an incentive to copy or make for your self perhaps just using the electronics... To always try to make the next thing a little better and certainly better than the one you are looking at. The lettering in the copper? looks like I could make it better... Whatever, For those reasons a really cool board.. I just wished that the designer hadn't put that block of pins on the Uno off grid by .05"... That makes home cloning hard. Maybe that's the reason...Massimo is afraid of "Cottage Competition"..   <BFG>
Sorry for the soliloquy about "Home Made"..

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

Who says there's a problem?
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9374

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I just wished that the designer hadn't put that block of pins on the Uno off grid by .05"... That makes home cloning hard. Maybe that's the reason...Massimo is afraid of "Cottage Competition"..   <BFG>
Sorry for the soliloquy about "Home Made"..

It wasn't a conscious design choice, but rather a error made on rush of ordering of the first batch of PCBs of the original arduino board. Once released and 3rd party shield developers began to ship they didn't feel it would be right to 'correct' the non-standard spacing and make all older shields incompatible.

Lefty

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

Measure twice, cut once, file to fit.

View Profile

If the official distributors list is up to date then that makes this item pretty scary as it is not even cheap!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arduino-Due-32-bit-Buy-from-an-authorised-Arduino-Distributor-Limited-Stock-/111029081519?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item19d9d955af

and if you look at the writing near the GND pins ...

I am shocked. No wonder Mr Z thinks I am naive.

Just because it's sold on ebay doesn't necessary mean it's a ripoff clone. The Due site does look like an "official" distributor, and it should be easy to check, since all the references are stated plainly.

Either they are selling counterfeits or an old prototype / very earlier version...

• Wrong number of USB connectors
• Processor is in a different orientation
• DUE label is in the wrong place
• Second six pin header is missing
• Erase button is missing
• Several labels are in the wrong place and have the wrong font
• Little "Arduino" is missing the "TM" (I highly doubt the Arduino folks would get that wrong)
• "Arduino" is printed on the board too many times

I believe that is an earlier version of the official board.  In fact, the picture seems to have come straight from the Arduino blog: http://blog.arduino.cc/2011/09/17/arduino-launches-new-products-in-maker-faire/

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: