Go Down

Topic: In over my head - I may need to pay someone (here?!) to help... (Read 406 times) previous topic - next topic

samuelsons_jon

Before I start I'd just like to say that I'm not an idiot, so please keep reading!

I'm a mechanical engineer by training, and now run a small business (making lemonade of all things).  I *adore* how Arduino/Pi and the like are democratising 'industrial' controls for the masses.  I have an arduino, I have a pi.  I also have a small business, a wife and two (very small) children and I simply can't teach myself what I need to know - goodness knows I've tried.  I get to the end of a tutorial project and my fatigued brain simply doesn't remember what I did at the beginning, or why =( !

So, in my industry everything is VERY expensive.  My goal is to create a system, then open-source it to the masses eventually.  But I'm stuck with my dunce brain, a rather good idea and no way of getting it out there.  Make something for a £200 that could be scaleable, could be automated etc., and get people in to what I'm doing that are forced out of it by the costs.  I think home-brewers would really love it too!

I'm at the point of trying to find someone who can write code for Arduino, help me spec the components (although I think I have them all) and basically assist me in getting somewhere.  The list of components is actually very small - a potentiometer, a sensor and a pump.  I've worked out all the variables that need to be set up for the code (I'm sure I've got them wrong of course - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!), I know the points I need to set up error codes, and the feedback I need to put in to the system.  But I'm dumb on the coding front.

Is there anyone out there in this crazy land who would be able to tell me where to go for help?  I've looked at things like Freelancer.com /PPH, heck even Fiverr!  Bluntly I can't find the person I'm looking for, or the ones that are there are asking for £300 with no guarantee that they'll even get close to delivering what I'm asking for.  I don't mind paying a bit to get the job done, but I'm not a money pit, especially when eventually I aim on giving away a large proportion of it all for free!

I'm in the UK (I'm sure the clever ones who noticed the currency already guessed that), and would love somebody who's UK based, but at this point I'll take what I can get...

Yours most humbly (i.e. please don't flame me if I posted this in the wrong section!)

Jon

Jiggy-Ninja

And in your next lesson, you'll learn why industrial systems are so expensive.

I've worked with automotive stuff, and the amount of testing that goes into one single system (I was working on electric power steering validation) was INSANE. Humidity, temperature cycling, vibration, mechanical shock, high temp endurance, and that was just the stuff that I was a part of.

So yes, you're in over your head, but so would almost everyone else here. At least on their own.

samuelsons_jon

And in your next lesson, you'll learn why industrial systems are so expensive.

I've worked with automotive stuff, and the amount of testing that goes into one single system (I was working on electric power steering validation) was INSANE. Humidity, temperature cycling, vibration, mechanical shock, high temp endurance, and that was just the stuff that I was a part of.

So yes, you're in over your head, but so would almost everyone else here. At least on their own.

Ha, don't worry, I know some of the "why"s, but believe me, there are a lot of people price gouging to the extreme.  What I'm looking to do isn't to make something that will last 20 years, but something that people with a limited amount of skill can fix in 12 or 24 months time for £20 by simply replacing a component.

I think it helps that I'm not looking to make something that I have a duty of care over weather someone crashes their car or not!

I'm not looking to make something heavy duty, just simple and very fixable - that simply doesn't exist, and I think it's because there's no money to be made in doing so.  I just spent many MANY ££££ on a box of washers and springs, but the machine that they go in to will last another 10 years potentially.  I'm looking at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Bainesbunch

Hello Jon,

OK so I get a lot of work from Freelancer and the system is set up to guard both parties. You only pay the milestone when you have the work for that milestone in you hands and have tested it to your satisfaction.

I also offer for my client to pay me through PayPal. This gives you a period to recover your money also should I not deliver what I have specified that I would.

I can help you with this problem, your requirement and  budget needs to be discussed and also your timescale. I live in France but moved her from the UK 9 years ago.

Take a look at me website WWW.EmbeddedAT.com and if you think that i can help you with this or just want to have a chat about your options please drop me an email to Peter@EmbeddedAT.com

Cheers Pete.
EmbeddedAT .. From Concept to Prototype to Production

Electronics and firmware design and project mentoring

samuelsons_jon

Hi Peter,

I actually dropped you an email last night but it got bounced back as spam. ..  I'll try again...

Go Up