Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Burning Bootloader onto Atmega 2560  (Read 3370 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm having issue trying to burn the bootloader to an Atmega2560 on a custom PCB using an UNO. The schematic for the entire PCB is attached to my post (ignore the peripherals and power supply connected to the MCU). I have test points to the necessary pins needed for ISP. I wired the Arduino UNO to the right pins on the Atmega2560 on our PCB as shown in the Arduino tutorial with a 10 nf capacitor wired between reset and gnd on the UNO.

Next, I open the Arduino IDE and open the Arduino ISP code under the examples. I plug in the UNO and upload this code it with no issue. However, I am receiving error messages each time I try to burn the bootloader.

The first message I got said "expected signature for Atmega2560 is 1e 98 01. Select -f to override." I go to serial monitor and type -f but nothing happens. I looked up a few forum posts and people say you need to configure your Atmel chip under the "avrdude.config" folder that is in your Arduino folder under avr/etc/.... I go there and don't see it so I upload the newest version of Arduino v.1.5.2. This folder is there so I try burning the bootloader again and that's where I get the message "stk500_getsync() not in sync resp=0xff". I tried researching this message to no avail.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

* MEGA_2560 9.sch (1481.75 KB - downloaded 129 times.)

Sweden
View Profile

Did you try Nick Gammons tutorial?? The tutorial is easy and awesome at the same time =).. Try the Atmega Board Programmer, a lot easier than the built in Arduino IDE solution.. Here is the link: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

View Profile

I tried that but after spending a whole day working on the project,we learned our chip doesn't need a bootloader. Somebody explained that it has something to do with not having a USB-to-serial conversion chip on our PCB if I remember correctly. We were led to using the AVR pocket programmer found here: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825 which let us easily upload the Blink sketch with no issue.

I do appreciate the help though. The Gammon tutorial does make up for a lot of the issues I was reading that dealt with uploading the Arduino bootloader.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: