Go Down

Topic: Mega Junior,1284 (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic

jbaum81

download optiboot and compile your own. Which I did mention earlier I thought that a good tutorial on how to do so may not be a bad idea.

The wiki at http://code.google.com/p/optiboot/wiki/ has had some work done recently...

Still somewhat vague for 1284 and other non mainstream AVR's. No matter what your still going to have to do some modifications on the boards file and possibly a pins file.

westfw

Yep.
How are  you dealing with the differences in platform support between different Arduino IDE versions?

oric_dan

I am getting a little worried at the number of copies of Optiboot for 1284 that are out there.  (All with the same version number?  But not necessarily the same code?)   It's bad enough that the Optiboot repository and the Arduino repository are modified independently (and it's pretty tough to get patches from Optiboot into Arduino, just due to momentum and manufacturing issues.)  But now there are three or four copies of the 1284 optiboot out there...  (Maniacbug, jbaum, crossroads, goldilocks)

Maybe you could contact maniacbug and get him to update his library, change the fuses,
look at the open issues posted to the github page. I tried, but he ignored me. I'm just
a mere mortal.

Also, as I understand it, maniacbug optiboot is the same for all of the variants in his
library, and only the pins_arduino.h and the boards.txt files need to be customized for
the different variants. So, there's probably no reason to have more than 1 extant optiboot
bootloader. If jbaum and goldilocks have changed it, it may not have been necessary.

oric_dan

I've found that with USB TTL serial 'cable adapters' so cheap on E-bay it just doesn't make sense to mount a on-board FTDI chip. Just mount a female header to accept the adapter and with the money saved I can buy a spare ATmega1284P chip!

"male" header?

??? back at you.  ;) The adapter I linked shows it has male pins needing to plug into something that accepts male pins, so a 6 pin female header strip maybe with right angle solder tails for a lower board profile? Marriage equality does not apply to .1" header connections.  :D 

By leaving out the FTDI chip, you also get a board that draws less quiescent power, and can
be used in low-power apps more easy. Plus you don't need all the parts in the power switchover
cktry between USB and power jack.

Darn, ebay strikes again. [are you still buying that stuff? ;-)]. I've never seen an FTDI cable
with male headers, but this isn't FTDI either.

retrolefty

I've found that with USB TTL serial 'cable adapters' so cheap on E-bay it just doesn't make sense to mount a on-board FTDI chip. Just mount a female header to accept the adapter and with the money saved I can buy a spare ATmega1284P chip!

"male" header?

??? back at you.  ;) The adapter I linked shows it has male pins needing to plug into something that accepts male pins, so a 6 pin female header strip maybe with right angle solder tails for a lower board profile? Marriage equality does not apply to .1" header connections.  :D 

By leaving out the FTDI chip, you also get a board that draws less quiescent power, and can
be used in low-power apps more easy. Plus you don't need all the parts in the power switchover
cktry between USB and power jack.

Darn, ebay strikes again. [are you still buying that stuff? ;-)]. I've never seen an FTDI cable
with male headers, but this isn't FTDI either.

Never stopped E-bay scrounging, it's a disease. Not FTDI based but rather CP2102 based, but drivers are freely available and the arduino IDE doesn't care, it just wants to talk to comm ports.

Lefty

Go Up