Go Down

Topic: Soldering station recommendations (Read 2291 times) previous topic - next topic

JoshD

Before you consider picking up anything from the US, you should have a look around and see if anyone in your area at least sells tips.  You don't want to discover that you need a new one in the middle of a project and have to wait a month to have one shipped to you from the US or europe.  If you can only get tips for one type of soldering iron locally, it might be worth getting a compatible iron just for the convenience.  Even if it's not quite as good as the hakko fx-888 that you were looking at.

BillO

What I generally do in cases like this is buy some spares at the time I make my purchase.  When I bought my last iron, I also purchased 10 tips (3 different sizes) and a spare heating element.  It saves a ton on shipping charges.
Facts just don't care if you ignore them.

AlxDroidDev

What I generally do in cases like this is buy some spares at the time I make my purchase.  When I bought my last iron, I also purchased 10 tips (3 different sizes) and a spare heating element.  It saves a ton on shipping charges.

That was already my plan before going to Paraguay! When I go to Miami, I'll be buying from Amazon whatever I can and have it shipped to a friend's house over there.

The thing is that I am able to find the Hakko FX-888 in Brazil's Mercado Livre (Brazil's version of eBay, actually owned by eBay), but they are asking near US$ 200 for one.
Learn to live: Live to learn.
Showing off my work: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,126197.0.html

Boardburner2

ive had my weller since 1985ish, never broken down and looks pretty new and you can get spares for it. those soldering stations look good but will they be around in the next 20 years when you wand a new tip/spares, i know wellers are expensive maby a second hand one of ebay

Seconded, had mine for 30.
I have had others from time to time but although good had problems finding tips after a while.
I now routinely carry the old weller with me.
It's not fancy and uses the magnetic thermostat.

Go Up