Go Down

Topic: Rotary mirrors for laser scanning? (Read 5460 times) previous topic - next topic

halley

I'm interested in finding a cheap source of polygonal rotary mirrors, like one finds in laser printers.  I don't have a laser printer to salvage, however.  Anyone find a commercial source, or maybe knows of a salvage company to contact?

bHogan

"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

halley

Mm, sorry, BroHogan.  A scanning mirror is kind of like one slice of a disco ball:  a central axis through which an axle fits, and some number of mirror planes arranged in a circle around it.  If a laser is aimed at such a thing while it's spinning, the laser beam is deflected into a long line or plane outward from the axle.

bHogan

Apr 02, 2009, 07:01 pm Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009, 07:01 pm by BroHogan Reason: 1
No problem - I thought you wanted to make one. I see a lot of the motorized mirrors in the barcode scanners we deal with - "slot scanners" - the big one's that go into the grocery store lane. You could check out your local people who service these things and see if they got any old ones. I was the "first kid on my block" with a gonzo laser that I pulled out of one of those in the '80's. ;D
"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

80HD

Apr 06, 2009, 06:13 am Last Edit: Apr 06, 2009, 06:14 am by 80HD Reason: 1
well,

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=laser+printer+assembly+-fuser&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=laser+printer+assembly&_osacat=0

I was once on a project that required a HV source so we grabbed a couple laser printers from a local electronics recycler. I'd recommend that instead of ebay since I noticed the laser assemblies come in 3,5,6 sided types and some also have concave faces meant to focus the beamsweep at a fixed distance. they seem easy to interface with though - usually it's a 3 phase spindle motor with hall sensor feedback and you're set.

Anyhow, electronics disposal places are usually happy to help.

sethc

I work in the AutoID industry. I specialize in machine vision now, but I worked with laser scanners before my current position.

I can sent you something gratis. I've got a box of them under my desk, various sizes with encoder wheels on them. Looking for anything specific?
Size, # of mirrors, speed?

I'm out of town this week, should be able to send something next week sometime.

halley

sethc, that's very generous.  I haven't even really thought about what kind of motor to be attached.  Maybe you have some motors still attached in that junk box?  I don't think I need any encoding.  I'm mostly just interested in spinning it in front of a laser to produce a clean laser plane, say, visible within a darkened room.  (Experimenting with simple photometric scanning.)  Something small and easy to drive would be ideal.

sethc

All of the mirrors I have are already connected to the stepper motors used to drive them in the laser scanners. I have quite a selection. I'm trapped in Quebec right now on a job, I'll take some pictures and post some dimensions either on Friday or early next week.

sethc

Alright - I've got some pics for you.

This is an example of the three sizes I have:

Bottoms:

Tops:

Fancy marketing shot:

halley

Apr 17, 2009, 10:48 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2009, 10:51 pm by halley Reason: 1
sethc, private message sent; see link at the top of your page.

Those are pretty sweet looking.  The board must come from a retail scanner or a laserprinter, I can't tell which.  These are surplus or scrap salvage from a project?  That big one must weigh a kilogram!  Only the middle one has visible zebra encoding marks, wonder why.

sethc

These are from 3 different types of large fixed mount barcode scanners used in unattended scanning systems. Think: warehouses, courier services and other large cartons on conveyors.

kevin duino

id go in a dumpster or a ham radio show lol.
[ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618][ch9618]

no245

sethc:

Is those units available commercialy ?! how do you obtain them ?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy