Go Down

Topic: Keeping silverware out of the trash- metal detection style. sensors? EMF? WHAT? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

That's what I was thinking - a big ass electromagnet to collect up any metal thrown in.  Silverware, rings, loose change, iphones, ...

Not all metals are ferrous, stainless steel flatware for example would pass right through even a big ass magnet.

Lefty

CrossRoads

If an electric current can be induced, a reaction with a magnetic field can be made.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

PeterH

I imagine that people going to the trouble of installing a system like that would ensure that the cutlery they used was suitable for it.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Henry_Best

That's what I was thinking - a big ass electromagnet to collect up any metal thrown in.  Silverware, rings, loose change, iphones, ...

Not too good for those of us with pacemakers!
And if the 'silverware' is Sterling Silver and the rings 24ct gold, how would that work?
I don't know about US loose change, but here in the UK, coinage is non-ferrous.

CrossRoads

Eddy current magnets:

http://www.nipponmagnetics.com/eddy-current-magnets-c-4.html

"Eddy current separators are useful for separation of aluminum, brass, copper, magnesium and other highly conductive but not necessarily magnetic attractive materials. "
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up