Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Power standalone atmega328 and servo motor via 9V battery  (Read 2002 times)
Athens, Greece
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello everyone,
i want to power the arduino chip (standalone- not on arduino board) which is 5V btw and a servo motor which needs 6V to operate (well it operates also at 4.8V but with less torque..)

I have a 9V battery, an 7805 regulator (9V to 5V) some 10uF caps and a potensiometer.

How do i do that?

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

With only those components?

Your motor's going to be running at 5V...

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Athens, Greece
View Profile

ok, so what else do i need?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Well before you dive into details, are you sure your 9 vdc battery can supply the current requirements for a servo? What kind of battery specifically are you working with? Small 9 volt batteries designed to power smoke alarms just don't work for servos that have motors in them.

Lefty

Athens, Greece
View Profile

you mean that the 9V battery doesn't have the amperage to start the motor or that it will drain the battery quickly?

Athens, Greece
View Profile

would you suggest 4 AA batteries instead?

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

would you suggest 4 AA batteries instead?

Yes, that will cost you a lot less in batteries.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Athens, Greece
View Profile

ok how about power? 4 AA's are more powerful than a 9V through a regulator?

Ontario, Ohio
View Profile

Four AA batteries won't work with your 7805 because you'll need at least 7 volts input (look up your specific 7805's data sheet for specifics). I use 6 AA batteries for input. A 7805 and a 6V regulator in parallel from your 6AA batteries would probably work ok. Don't forget to decouple. http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/De-coupling.html

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you are going to more than ~8v power supply, then you could make a setup like below to supply 5v to the chip and 5.7v to the servo. If you use a 6v power source, a diode in the supply to the chip would reduce the voltage to ~5.3v.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

As your servo need 6V, the obvious solution is 4 AA alkaline cells, feeding the servo directly, and feeding the atmega328p through a silicon diode.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Athens, Greece
View Profile

ok got it! thanks everyone!

but, cost aside, which is more preferable, to drive the motor with 4 AA's or with a regulated 9V battery.

i've read somewhere that 4 AA have more amperage than a single 9V (regulated to 6V of course)

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
View Profile

but, cost aside, which is more preferable, to drive the motor with 4 AA's or with a regulated 9V battery.

i've read somewhere that 4 AA have more amperage than a single 9V (regulated to 6V of course)

You can find relevant information at http://data.energizer.com/.

Athens, Greece
View Profile

so, i decided to go for the 4 AA rechargeable batteries. 4*1.2=4.8V right?

WRONG!
these eneloops i bought give 5.67V, that means 1.4 each.

so the atmega328 can hold 5.5V. if i connect 5.67 will it burn? i mean for 0.17 Volts?

texas
God Member
old, but not dead
View Profile

so, i decided to go for the 4 AA rechargeable batteries. 4*1.2=4.8V right?

WRONG!
these eneloops i bought give 5.67V, that means 1.4 each.

so the atmega328 can hold 5.5V. if i connect 5.67 will it burn? i mean for 0.17 Volts?

6V is the MAXIMUM voltage so you should be ok, but I would just toss in a series diode to drop the voltage a little more.

Experience, it's what you get when you were expecting something else.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: