Go Down

Topic: reading data from serial port (Read 708 times) previous topic - next topic

ageurtse

Hello,

i try to read data from a serial port and converting it to a unsigned short.
this works so far.
but when i wan't to send a file to the board (1280 bytes)
it stalls at aproximate 440 bytes (the counter i stall's at 222 or 221)

what could it be ?

Below is the program code, later on i which to use the native usb port on my DUE, but for now i stick with the programming port (or i keep switching my usb cable)
the purpose is to load a image from serial port and display it on the tft.

Code: [Select]

#include <UTFT.h>

extern uint8_t SmallFont[];

UTFT myGLCD(CTE36);   // Remember to change the model parameter to suit your display module!

void setup()
{
  delay(1000);
  Serial.begin(115200);
  while (!Serial);
  myGLCD.InitLCD();
  myGLCD.setFont(SmallFont);

myGLCD.clrScr();
}

void loop()
{
  unsigned short image[1280];
  int i=0, l=0;
  byte highbyte,y;

y=0;
  i=0;

myGLCD.setColor(255,0,0);
  myGLCD.print("Waiting for data",0,0);

while(i < 640){

if(Serial.available())
    {
    myGLCD.printNumI(l,0,10);
    myGLCD.printNumI(i,0,20);
    l++;
    switch (y)                                     
      {
       case 1:{                                        // if y=1 then load the lowbyte of the unsigned short
        image[i]=(Serial.read() + (highbyte << 8));   // put the lowbyte and higbyte in the image array
        i++;
        y=0;
        break;
      }
      case 0: {                                        // if y=0 load highbyte of the unsgned short
        highbyte=Serial.read();           
        y=1;
        break;
      } 
    }
  }
}
  myGLCD.print("done",0,210);             
  myGLCD.drawBitmap(100,100,32,20,image);
}

PaulS

If there is at least one byte available, read both of them.

I don't think so.

Zaplady

Apr 03, 2013, 07:04 pm Last Edit: Apr 03, 2013, 09:14 pm by Zaplady Reason: 1
Hi ageurtse
I was facinated by your post because your code, although unvenventional, looks like it should be able to download your 1280 bytes correctly before it started again through loop. I cannot comment on the GLCD part as I do not have one. I tried this on an Arduino Uno and found that it could, in fact, download the 1280 bytes if I sent them from processing one at a time. However, I could create a very similar problem to yours by setting the bauds rates to a different value at either end e.g. 9600 on processing to match the 115200 on the Arduino and I wondered if that was causing your problem?
Mrs Z

[Edit] I can also get the problem to happen if I start sending the data to the Arduino before it is ready to receive it.

Go Up