Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LCD monitor wiring  (Read 934 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I was just wondering on a vga cable connector there is a few pins, however how do just these few pins control thousands of pixels on a monitor?

Edmonton, Canada
View Profile

Maybe this pages can give you an overview:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,143827.0.html
http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/MicroVGA
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=102181.0
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:33:49 pm by gnusci » Logged

--

gnusci

View Profile

Thanks for the replay.

The pages you linked to were informative but didn't really answer my question.

God Member
View Profile

some more reading here http://www.mcamafia.de/pdf/ibm_vgaxga_trm2.pdf

hth smiley

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

The key is "serial" data link. Same as in printing 140x80 characters on screen using only 2 wires.

View Profile

Well basically what my underlying question is could some how control say a 100 simple motors via a cable like a parallel port or a IDE cable.

I know this doesn't directly have to do with LCD's but its the same theory, because I want to have these 100 motors lined up in a grid, so really its the exact same thing as a monitor but instead you replace the lcd's with motors.

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

74HC595 is your best friend, line up as many as you want, 8 outputs per IC, 12 x  8 = 96
http://playground.arduino.cc//Main/InterfacingWithHardware#Output
Most of projects use them for leds, but it'd be o'k for motors too.

View Profile

So there is no way of just to do it without any extra hardware?

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

Using external hardware is the cheapest  and only way. UNO board has only 20 output pins, Mega 54 if I'm not mistaken. 74HC595 or any other I2C / SPI port extender. What about a project, may be you don't need 100 motors after all? 

View Profile

the way im looking at it is the motors are arranged in like a grid and to pick witch motor you want to run you do like A 2 or B 8  or C7 etc. if you get what I mean

This is basically what lcd monitors do but my question is how does it pluck out a specific pixel from the grid?

Here is a good chunk from a article explaining what im talking about

In order to use these OLEDs to create a picture, they must be arranged in a grid, spaced very close together. There are a number of ways of doing this. The simplest screen uses only one color of OLED. There is one cell per pixel on the screen. This type of display can be used for car radios, where full color is not needed. In order to get a full color display, capable of showing photos and videos, you can place red, green and blue cells very close next to each other. All three combined create one pixel of the image. By varying the brightness of each individual color, it is possible to create any color. When you want to show an image on the screen, you start with the top row. The top row is �activated� by applying a voltage, and then you can input which pixels you want to turn on by applying voltages to the appropriate columns. The top row is deactivated, and the second row goes next. Eventually, you reach the bottom row and start again at the top.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:13:46 pm by alltroid » Logged

View Profile

Okay so I did some research and I came up with a partial solution but on a much smaller scale there is a crude image here:

So now my problem is I have 9 control signals to deal with, how do I get around this, if possible?

I should note: i'm assuming whoever reads this is familiar multiplexing, that is why I did not explain the diagram.

Thanks for your help smiley

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

You can't do multiplexing with motors. It's only works for display, or visual indicators, due humans "Perception of Vision" effect. Motors require power all the time,

View Profile

Yeah your right, sorry I should explain better, I guess I wouldn't be using motors, they would be some sort of tiny valves, like solenoids or something like that, so each one basically opens for a tiny amount of time. They don't need constant power, in this case.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: