Go Down

Topic: Opening multiple files simultaneously with adafruit's SD library? (Read 2391 times) previous topic - next topic

liuzengqiang

Just wanted to see if it is possible to simultaneously open up to 3 files with adafruit's SD wrapper library around the SDfat lib. I tested it on one setup and it worked but someone else tested on identical setups and the second file is not recorded. This might be related to SRAM shortage but I just want to know if SRAM is enough, is opening 3 files simultaneously possible?

BTW, how much SRAM does each file roughly consume?

Thank you!
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

fat16lib

You can open multiple files with both the Arduino SD.h and the Adafruit version of SD.h.

Each file requires about 58 bytes of RAM.  I say about since SD.h uses malloc so the amout can vary with heap fragmentation.

SD.h is subject to memory leaks.  If you reuse a file handle without closing it, you will lose about 30 bytes each time you open a file.

SdFat does not use malloc and a each file requires 31 bytes.

liuzengqiang

fat16lib,

Thank you for your reply. I am still learning the sdfat library. The SD appealed to me as simple so I started with it. I will be switching to sdfat soon.

Regarding file handle, do you mean a File object? I do close() BTW.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

fat16lib

Yes I meant a File object.  Both open for write and open for read take the same amount of memory.

Code: [Select]

File file;

// other code

file = SD.open("test.txt", FILE_WRITE);  // calls malloc to allocate memory

// access file here

file.close();  // calls free to release memory

Go Up