Go Down

Topic: Sparkfun Mp3 Player Shield vs Adafruit Audio Wave Shield? (Read 2269 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello!

To make it easier to understand what I'm going for, I'll break up my question into several chunks...

My Goal / Project: I'm currently working on a project where I will have 3-4 RGB Anode LED's changing colors together, depending on the track that is playing (Track 1 = All Shine Yellow, Track 2 = All Shine Purple, etc [8 tracks total]). With that said I'm planning on connecting everything to my arduino.

Dilemma: I recently bought an MP3 Player Shield from Sparkfun, but now I'm having second thoughts because the Adafruit Audio Wave Shield is not only cheaper, but comes with a speaker and other stuff.

Why Do I Need Audio?: To play tracks that I will sync with the leds. I was planning on connecting my sparkfun shield with my own bluetooth speaker (using its line-in) so that I can play sound out loud. I have a Veho VSS-009-360BT. Is this possible? Or should I return the sparkfun one and purchase the adafruit kit?

Has anyone used either or both? Which would you recommend for what I want to do? Which one requires less pins? Thanks so much!!!

mtschaef

To start off I don't think that the Adafruit Wave Shield actually comes with a speaker.  I purchased the Wave Shield over a year ago and it didn't come with one.  I use it as a Doorbell at my house to play random sound clips/songs.

One of the limitations to the Adafruit Wave Shield is that it requires you to convert the audio files into .wav format and a low quality.  Quote from their site: "Can play any uncompressed 22KHz, 16bit, mono Wave (.wav) files of any size."

I hope this helps you a little.
-- Marc

xl97

I agree..

I dont believe the Adafruit Waveshield comes with a speaker..  (But I do think they offer a kit of sorts that 'does')

I found the Waveshield a bit 'low' in volume upon initial use.. (I think I read there is a resistor 'hack' you can do to increase this)..

outside of that I like the Waveshield...  but have never used the MP3 shield you refer to.  :(

I used a 'customized' version of it here in this project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhn8y28O97A

and here is a quick sample of the Waveshield by itself..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_p96Oc78o8

the audio sample isnt that great was just text to speech generated file to thank my local makerspace member for borrowing his kit.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy