Go Down

Topic: Does keypad library require diodes? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

MD5003

Does the keypad library (http://playground.arduino.cc//Code/Keypad) require diodes on the switches?
You won't need external resistors or diodes because the library uses the internal pullup resistors and additonally ensures that all unused column pins are high-impedance.

I see why I wont need external resistors, but does the "no diodes" apply only on pre-manufactured kaypads?
I am planning to make my own matrix for input switches and now the question is if all the diodes are required or not:

CrossRoads

Diodes are not required.
What the library basically does is have all the column lines high.
It then brings 1 low, and reads the row pins. If a low is seen, it knows the active column, and now the row, so it knows whic button was pressed.
Then on to the next column...
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

MD5003

Thanks for your reply, but my question is: What happens if 3 buttons in a rectanble are pressed?
Normally the arduino would report 4 buttons then if I don't use any diodes?!
Or does this library go around this problem somehow?
Hope you do understand what I mean ;)

CrossRoads

I don't have a keypad set up at the moment. It likely just reports the first one it reads. Try it & see. 
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

mstanley

Or does this library go around this problem somehow?

Sadly, not yet.  As soon as they improve quantum computers I should be able to nail it. ;)

To be clear, you are correct.  The problem you are talking about is called ghosting.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_%28key%29.  The default settings for the library allows 10 keys to be pressed at the same time but you will need diodes if you need to avoid ghosting.

Go Up