Go Down

Topic: power supply and pin current output questions (Read 669 times) previous topic - next topic

i have an Arduino Mega2560 board.
i must build an external board with other TTL logics, so i have a unique 5V power supply, for either my board either Arduino Mega.
can i connect my power supply directly to 5V pin of Arduino Mega board, without pass through external power connector X1 ?

i must use usb connector to communicate with PC while the board is working, what's happen to usb supply ?
usb ground jumper must be closed or leave open ?

ATmega2560 have 40mA max current output per pin, but how many outputs pins can give this current simultaneously ?

johnwasser

Can I connect my power supply directly to +5V pin of Arduino Mega board, without pass through external power connector X1 ?

Yes.

i must use usb connector to communicate with PC while the board is working, what's happen to usb supply ?

It should not be a problem.

I don't know what jumper you mean but I expect it should be unchanged from normal.

ATmega2560 have 40mA max current output per pin, but how many outputs pins can give this current simultaneously ?

It's in the datasheet:

31. Electrical Characteristics
Absolute Maximum Ratings*
DC Current VCC and GND Pins................................. 200.0mA

I guess that means you can have 5 pins at max current.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

It should not be a problem.

are you sure ?
if i well understand the electric schematic (http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-mega2560_R3-schematic.pdf) , mosfet T1 should be ON if i power the board directly from +5V instead from connector X1, because wire VIN, i suppose, remain at 0V.
i don't want to burn the PC usb port....

I don't know what jumper you mean but I expect it should be unchanged from normal.

in the schematic is the pad called GROUND between usb connector and atmega16

I guess that means you can have 5 pins at max current.

ok thanks a lot.

Louis Davis

I am not sure if I understand your question, but if you are asking if you can power the board from +5V, it is not recommened.

See here for more details:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,82046.msg758170.html#msg758170

I am not sure if I understand your question, but if you are asking if you can power the board from +5V, it is not recommened.

See here for more details:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,82046.msg758170.html#msg758170

yes, you well understand my question.

i think the problem is the control of mosfet T1, it depend on state of VIN, that is 0V when the board is powered from +5V pin directly.
i read the thread you link, so there is also another problem due to voltage regulator that in this condition, is reverse powered.

i think that with 2 little modification on the board the 2 problem can be solved (i will test ASAP).
1- a diode with anode to +5V and catode to VIN to protect the voltage regulator IC1 from reverse powering.
2- remove resistor RN5D so also with 4,4V ( 5V-Vak of new diode) can trigger the comparator IC7B

modify the board in this way, let all functionality as before, it can be powered either from usb, X1 connector, and +5V, but when the last 2 method are used, usb power will remain isolated from board.

what do you think ?

i replay by myself :)

can't work !
if RN5D is removed, usb power continuosly disable itself. :(

CrossRoads

Power the Mega from 5V on header pin; install a diode from 5V to Vin so that the regulator is not reverse driven. See page 10:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm1117-n.pdf
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy