Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 99588 times) previous topic - next topic

sanni

I dumped my SA-1 cart(PAL PGA Tour '96 1L3B-01 PCB) but my Super Mario RPG SA-1 cart(NTSC 1L5B-20 PCB) simply does not want to boot.

zzattack

sanni, do you use 'slow' functions for writeByteA1/writeByteA2/writeByteB or are you using optimized writes to the port registers? could poor SA-1 detection be due to too many rapid changes on the addressing ports?

sanni

I'm using the faster variant, maybe too fast.

p4r4d0x86

Hi all,

What a great project!
Thanks a lot to all the contributors, specially MichlK, sanni, skaman.

I will try to build my own "clone" so:
SNES Cart Slots: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Replacement-62Pins-Slot-for-SNES-Clone-Console/1902006_32605683635.html
Any chance to find a reseller for only one or two connectors?

Kind regards,
Nico

zzattack

I recently purchased 10, so if you're from Europe I could send them

p4r4d0x86

I recently purchased 10, so if you're from Europe I could send them
Cool, I will send you a PM.

Nico

skaman

The project continues to move forward.  We are now able to completely rewrite the Nintendo Power (SF Memory) carts.  It took many months and combined input from several people including nocash, sanni, and BennVenn.

A little background, the flash chips used in the Nintendo Power carts (both SF Memory and GB Memory) include a page buffer/mapping register that is checked when reading games in the normal flash area.  The games written to the cart will not work properly without the correct mapping.  The flash chips use non-standard, undocumented commands to access the mapping data.

I'm working on an update to my "enhanced" code with full write support for the NP carts.  It is the last SNES cart type that I set out to support.

On a different but related note, to gain insight into the SF Memory cart, I built a GB cart interface to sit in between the GB and GB Memory cart.  Using the cart interface to log data, we were able to unlock the GB Memory cart and we can now completely rewrite it as well.  I decided to build a standalone GB cart reader around the cart interface similar to the SNES cart reader.  I plan to eventually release the code when all of the mappers are supported - I need to finish the MMM01 and TAMA5 mappers.

Good Luck!

sanni

I ported my Nintendo Cart Reader sketch from using the standard Arduino digitalread/write functions to using direct port manipulation. Everything is now faster than before, especially writing the 29F032 flashrom did benefit since now it's twice as fast as before.

I also added a little content viewer for the N64 Controller Pak so that before you dump it you see what games are actually on it:

nivalis

I've been following this project closely on this and the other forums, and I have a question that you may be able to answer!
The NP cart pcb seems to have two 16mbit MX 29F1601MC roms, but the PCB itself has the traces for a third rom chip, which is also silkscreen marked with "16M Flash"

Would it be possible to populate that third slot with an additional 16M flash rom, bumping the total from 32 to 48mbit?

sanni

What is missing right now is how to address it. Since the Hirom mapping can only be 4MB total, we would need either an Ex-Hirom mapping or some way of temporarily remapping the 3rd chip into the address space of the 2nd.

There are also several pins on the MX15001 chip that can be pulled either low or high with resistors so maybe they configure how much memory is installed? I wonder what happens when you switch those resistors around.

skaman

There was a supplier on Aliexpress that was selling loose 29F1601 chips.  I bought a few and confirmed they were the real deal.  The chips were not new and appeared to be pulled off boards.  I did a lot of testing of the NP flash code using a single 29F1601 in sanni's original flashrom writer board. 

I primarily picked up the chips to figure out the hidden register/page buffer commands but I also wanted to eventually add a 3rd flash chip to the carts.  It should be a fun project to attempt.  I don't know when I'll get around to doing it.  I still have to optimize the flash writing in the Enhanced code and I'm a bit sidetracked finishing the savegame code for the last GB mappers.

Good Luck!

sanni

Some impressions:

dtp35

Hello All,

I'm in the process as making one for myself. I love the idea of downloading and uploading save games from SNES carts!

I found the OLED screen on ebay. But i can't find a SD card with the pins facing down. Only pins facing up. Do you have a ebay number with one? OR did you remove the pins and make them face down?

In the pictures there is a small pcb on the back. What is it? and what does it do? I presume i only need the LCD and SD card.

Thanks for your help and this great project!! Hopfully my PCB works first go.

D.

zzattack

Yep, I desoldered the SD card header and put it back on the other side. I think on the OLED two pins were also swapped. No biggie.

sanni

On the currenct version of the shield you can select the Oled screens polarity with two solder jumpers

Here are the parts I recommend:
Arduino Mega 2560: aliexpress.com/item/Mega-2560-CH340G-ATmega2560-16AU-Compatible-for-Arduino-Mega-2560/32517341214.html
Oled screen: ebay.com/itm/351493706885
SD module: ebay.com/itm/291551876341

You need to desolder the pins from the sd module and resolder them to the other side. Just apply so much solder that all pins are covered at the same time together in one big blob and then heat the blob until the pins fall out.

The small pcb on the back is a clock generator, you need that only for SA-1 games afaik. Personally I had no luck with the newer SA-1 pcbs anyway so I wouldn't buy it unless you want to tinker with the SA-1 games. For NP carts the Arduino can generate the clock signal by itself so the clock generator is not needed there also.

Go Up