Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Red LEDs with reverse polarity! (and ?)  (Read 661 times)
Denmark
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I scrounged some red LEDs from bike lights I've found (when the snow melts they are all over the place).

LEDs are cheap, but I'm cheaper and I like to "recycle" components.

But some of these LEDs are a bit annoying.
They look like normal clear plastic LEDs, but the leg connected to "the smaller piece of metal" inside it is not the positive, but the negative leg!
It has a flat side that correctly denotes the negative leg, but they have fooled me a couple of times anyway.

Do any of you know more about these? Is there a good reason or is it just a production error that has been sold to the bike light factory?

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Boffin1 purchased a batch of "reverse polarity" LEDs a while back.  Maybe yours are part of that same batch smiley-wink

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I always check the proper polarity of LEDs just before I solder them in with a multimeter, I just don't trust my memory or all manufactures.  smiley-wink

Lefty

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

It has a flat side that correctly denotes the negative leg, but they have fooled me a couple of times anyway.

The flat side is what you're supposed to use to identify LEDs, not the metal inside.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Denmark
God Member
Please don't send questions as PM!
View Profile

I always check the proper polarity of LEDs just before I solder them in with a multimeter, I just don't trust my memory or all manufactures.  smiley-wink

Good job soldering LED's with a Multimeter  smiley

// Per.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Good job soldering LED's with a Multimeter  smiley

// Per.

Yea, I did butcher that one a little, didn't I?  smiley-wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: