Go Down

Topic: 4-Wire SPI Graphic Display W/ Arduino Mini (Read 2096 times) previous topic - next topic

mdifilippo

So I am looking to use this display http://www.buy-display.com/default/industrial-lcd-display.html along with 4 input buttons and a real time clock. First, can this graphic display be used with Arduino? And if so will the mini support everything I am looking for it to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks guys. Bit of an arduino noob

CrossRoads

Display can be used with a '328 (Mini or otherwise), plenty of IO for SPI, 4 buttons, RTC.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

mdifilippo

Thank you so much CrossRoads! Mind if I ask how you know? I'd love to actually understand all the technical jargon, for example when I was looking at graphical LCDs there were so many different types, parallel (4 and 8bit) I2C, 3 and 4 wire SPI. Is there documentation somewhere on all of this? Again thank you! 

olikraus

Hi

Graphics display do not have a standard interface. The electrical interface is different and also set of commands are specific to the controller. So things like 4-wire or 3-wire SPI, I2C, 4/8 Bit parallel are very specific to the controller (of course I2C should follow some standards).

But at the end, you have a specifc display in mind. This display has a UC1701 controller (compatible with ST7565). The 3-wire SPI is not HW compatible with AVR chips, but the 4-wire SPI interface works very well with the Arduino.

From my work with U8glib i can say, that supporting a specific controller is a challenging task, but supporting different displays with same controller is a time consuming task because of the different electrical characteristics and the individual memory mapping.

Here is my suggestion (unless you want to program this display from scretch):
Download http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/ and check all UC1701 and ST7565 constructors with 128x64 dimension one by one (uncomment them in the HelloWorld example). Hopefully you will find a fitting device (http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/device). Especially look at a constructor where the display content is shown correctly (contrast issues can be adjusted with setContrast). If you do not find a fitting device for u8glib, please contact me and we will add a new u8glib device for your display.

Oliver

CrossRoads

I looked at the datasheets that were on the link you provided.
One shows SPI connections plus 1 extra wire. Would not be hard to write code to send messages to the display.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

mdifilippo

Thanks everyone really appreciate it. Is there a similar sized display (white on black) that would be easier to interface with arduino? I just started beginning stages of a project and while trying to find a cheap source for a display that fit the need I found that one. Again thank you thank you thank you!

CrossRoads

What do you need to display? Maybe a serial LCD display from www.newhavendisplay.com would fit the bill.

mdifilippo

Its going to be a clock interface, and liked the graphical look compared to the serial displays.

olikraus

I am very confident that the display, mentioned at the beginning of the thread, will work with U8glib.

Oliver

mdifilippo

Alright great thanks Oliver and everyone else. I am going to place an order for it but its going to take some time; I think shipping is something like 10-20 days. I'll be sure to be back as soon as I start trying to get it working.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy