Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino's reliability  (Read 2454 times)
Rapa Nui
Edison Member
Pukao hats cleaning services
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Arduino "as-is" is of course not suitable for such remote installation outside. The reliability must be "built-in" when targeting such rugged designs..
An example:

South Texas
Edison Member
View Profile

If the box is mounted in the shade (either from the solar panels or some other source of shade you will not have the heating problems that you would have in an automobile parked in the sun. The only heat you will have to deal with is ambient. Make a sealed box with an aluminum back and bend a set of fins for the inside and outside. That way the inside fins can heat sink any heat above ambient to the outside fins where the heat can move into the air. For sealant use a urethane roof sealant rather than silicone sealant. It sticks better and lasts longer. (it even sticks to you better...) Kind of like black mastic but in a semi viscous form.

How close is this to the ocean? A sea breeze can corrode things miles away. I live in South Texas and 30 miles from the ocean we have to deal with corrosion problems.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Looks like my designs from the early 90's.  Lot of it obsoleted  now with smaller, denser parts.
CAGE Code 49956 was Raytheon in MA.
Gloss finish is due to conformal coat.
Am surprised these were available for posting to the internet.
Wonder how he got his hands on them.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Rapa Nui
Edison Member
Pukao hats cleaning services
View Profile

Nice video, indeed. You may see a LOT of reliability components built-in. Fan less cooling via thick built-in copper layers, I guess. Coating. Large sized smd capacitors and resistors. It seems all the signals passed via resistors into the connector's pins. Doubled cpu's master-checker? Old sub stuff, I would say smiley
PS: 1980's design, milVAX by DEC - http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/milboards.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:56:01 pm by pito » Logged

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Arduino "as-is" is of course not suitable for such remote installation outside. The reliability must be "built-in" when targeting such rugged designs..

Wow, that's impressively well made.

The high-res pictures on his web page are interesting, too, and there's even some background info from the person who designed them:

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/milboards.html

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

I some point you need to think about cost/benefits tradeoffs.  Having a "hardened" Arduino-based system built is likely to cost 100x to 1000x more than throwing together some off-the-shelf shields, and each unit will probably cost 5x-10x the equivalent OTS components.  So for a 5y lifetime, it may be more economically reasonable to think about packaging the cheaper system and replacing it every year.
It depends on stuff like replacement costs, how many people will get killed if the device fails, and how much budget and/or "free resources" you have to throw at the problem.  US DoD Mil-Spec or space-worthy hardware may not be a good design example unless you have  a nearly unlimited budget.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Tis a worthy design goal tho.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: