Go Down

Topic: Arduino's reliability (Read 3096 times) previous topic - next topic

pito

Arduino "as-is" is of course not suitable for such remote installation outside. The reliability must be "built-in" when targeting such rugged designs..
An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55z_0BYb5is

kf2qd

If the box is mounted in the shade (either from the solar panels or some other source of shade you will not have the heating problems that you would have in an automobile parked in the sun. The only heat you will have to deal with is ambient. Make a sealed box with an aluminum back and bend a set of fins for the inside and outside. That way the inside fins can heat sink any heat above ambient to the outside fins where the heat can move into the air. For sealant use a urethane roof sealant rather than silicone sealant. It sticks better and lasts longer. (it even sticks to you better...) Kind of like black mastic but in a semi viscous form.

How close is this to the ocean? A sea breeze can corrode things miles away. I live in South Texas and 30 miles from the ocean we have to deal with corrosion problems.

CrossRoads

Looks like my designs from the early 90's.  Lot of it obsoleted  now with smaller, denser parts.
CAGE Code 49956 was Raytheon in MA.
Gloss finish is due to conformal coat.
Am surprised these were available for posting to the internet.
Wonder how he got his hands on them.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

pito

Apr 09, 2013, 10:28 pm Last Edit: Apr 09, 2013, 10:56 pm by pito Reason: 1
Nice video, indeed. You may see a LOT of reliability components built-in. Fan less cooling via thick built-in copper layers, I guess. Coating. Large sized smd capacitors and resistors. It seems all the signals passed via resistors into the connector's pins. Doubled cpu's master-checker? Old sub stuff, I would say :)
PS: 1980's design, milVAX by DEC - http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/milboards.html

fungus

Arduino "as-is" is of course not suitable for such remote installation outside. The reliability must be "built-in" when targeting such rugged designs..

Wow, that's impressively well made.

The high-res pictures on his web page are interesting, too, and there's even some background info from the person who designed them:

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/milboards.html

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

westfw

I some point you need to think about cost/benefits tradeoffs.  Having a "hardened" Arduino-based system built is likely to cost 100x to 1000x more than throwing together some off-the-shelf shields, and each unit will probably cost 5x-10x the equivalent OTS components.  So for a 5y lifetime, it may be more economically reasonable to think about packaging the cheaper system and replacing it every year.
It depends on stuff like replacement costs, how many people will get killed if the device fails, and how much budget and/or "free resources" you have to throw at the problem.  US DoD Mil-Spec or space-worthy hardware may not be a good design example unless you have  a nearly unlimited budget.

CrossRoads

Tis a worthy design goal tho.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up