Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Can the Uno handle two serial port functions ?  (Read 3322 times)
Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

For what it is worth, the RJ connector on the Serial device has the following
pinout as referenced by the device:

Pin1 - RS232 In
Pin2 - +12V
Pin3 - RS232 Out
Pin4 - Gnd

Don't you think this might mean that pin 1 is the receiving pin? If that's true, you have to connect T1OUT to pin 1 of this connector and R1IN to pin 3 of the connector. I would try to measure the pins before connecting to avoid producing a short circuit.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

For what it is worth, the RJ connector on the Serial device has the following
pinout as referenced by the device:

Pin1 - RS232 In
Pin2 - +12V
Pin3 - RS232 Out
Pin4 - Gnd

Don't you think this might mean that pin 1 is the receiving pin? If that's true, you have to connect T1OUT to pin 1 of this connector and R1IN to pin 3 of the connector. I would try to measure the pins before connecting to avoid producing a short circuit.

It is connected correctly as I don't get the serial from the panel T1OUT to pin 1 of this connector and R1IN to pin 3 of the connector ... I tried it just to make sure.

On another note, I was successful in reading and writing to the control panel with a USB2Serial converter which I built an interface to the RJ4 connector...

Must be something in the way the serial port & USB are shared on the Arduino that keep me from reading and writing to the control panel...

thanks for your help

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

Must be something in the way the serial port & USB are shared on the Arduino that keep me from reading and writing to the control panel...

If you want the Arduino to be just a USB2Serial adapter, you can just ignore the Arduino's core processor (the ATmega328p) and use the ATmega16U2 for exactly this purpose. You just have to make sure you swap the RX/TX lines because the pin marked RX on the Arduino is the reading pin of the main processor and therefore the writing pin of the ATmega16U2. And you must ensure the sketch loading on the Arduino don't get active in that communication (p.e. by loading the blink example sketch).

View Profile

can arduino uno handle two com port?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: