Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Impact testing using Arduino Uno  (Read 431 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hey guys,

I am currently engaging in a project to measure the impact force on a composite barrier. Recently i have bought an Arduino Uno, and i was hoping to integrate it with an accelerometer or any relevant sensor to measure impact force. Can you guys advice me on this? Thank you.

Edison Member
View Profile

The Arduino Uno is probably too slow.

An Arduino can be used with I2C bus and sensors to balance a robot for example. Using analog sensors or SPI bus is faster, perhaps 1000 samples per second is possible.
I think you need more than that. Many PCs can capture audio at 96kHz. You need something in between. A dedicated device for data capturing or a plug-in card for a PC.

You can use the Arduino to test the sensors and for a few trial runs. Once you are familiar with Arduino, you can make a small test in a short time.

You also need an accelerometer that is capable of 200g. I even doubt if that is enough.
A sensor like the ADXL377 has a range of 200g.

Norfolk UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

What is the mass/speed of the impactor?

View Profile

it would vary from a mass of a typical forklift going 10 m/s to a trolly going around the same speed (10 m/s)

Norfolk UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

it would vary from a mass of a typical forklift going 10 m/s to a trolly going around the same speed (10 m/s)
That's big masses and speeds, not sure how you would go about that. Was you going to make stand alone arduino data loggers to strap to the impactor and target.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: