Platinum resistance sensor RTD

I am considering building a platinum resistance thermometer, the probes are very expensive though.
There are some very affordable ones but they come with short tails.
Any idea how to connect to these ?
Solder would melt at service temp.

What temperature range do you want to measure? A thermocouple may be an easier option.

I have another thread discussing the thermocouple.
Range is as high as I can get, it's to get more confidence in the thermocouple readings.

Perhaps you could connect the platinum wires using something like this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/temperature-sensor-accessories/4553918/.

Thanks looks just the job.
Only twice the price of the platinum sensor ????

MAX31865

SPI back to the Arduino.

Boardburner2:
Thanks looks just the job.
Only twice the price of the platinum sensor ????

I just found some cheaper solutions by searching for "ceramic terminal block" on eBay.

Many thanks , looks just the job, anyone know of a uk supplier for that chip please?

Remember the HP Test equipment that used the ceramic terminal blocks?... I still have an HP 5" 5 MHz scope with those things in it...

Doc

Thanks for the replies, I have now found a supplier, however the package is very small and will probably be beyond the resolution of my printer and soldering ability.
Can anyone suggest a solution?

I know that adapter boards are sometimes to be found to other footprints, however please do not suggest eBay unless it someone you have personally dealt with and are happy with.

Fwiw I had a board for an Amtel project last year which i suspect had been immersion tinned,it was totally unsolderable,probably because it had been stored too long, it cost me dear in lost components.

Look at dipmicro.com, they have a bunch of SMD adapters. I have a little stockpile of different sizes waiting to go into some project.

Thanks,
Spot on.
1/3 price of RS, and I noticed not tinned which is exactly what I want.

RS? Radio Shack, or something else?

RS components, Used to be Radio Spares I think.
V expensive.

Equivalent to Radio Shack over here would be Maplins.

Boardburner2:
RS components, Used to be Radio Spares I think.
V expensive.

Equivalent to Radio Shack over here would be Maplins.

Actually, prices at RS Components are generally not that bad. SMD adapters are an exception, because the only ones that RS (and Farnell) stock are the ridiculously expensive Roth Electronik ones. I get my SMD adapters from SparkFun distributors, Futurelec etc.

I think it depends on what you are ordering.
Some bits are cheap but what often happens with me is the MOQ which can be 25 or 50 pieces.
Generally excellent service though.

I generally try to avoid ordering from us disties though due to the vagaries of uk postie/customs, high carriage charges etc.

Yes, RS often has an MOQ. That's why I usually use Farnell instead. Digikey prices are often better, but then you usually have to pay import VAT, and often a charge for processing the VAT. Rapid are good if they happen to have what you are looking for.

dc42:
if they happen to have what you are looking for.

That's the real crux of it.
3 separate suppliers for a project = 3 carriage charges.

I find Digikey best for difficult semiconductors but if there is vat to pay parcelfarce handles it not postie , so I have to drive to the depot to pay/collect (2 hr drive if I am lucky.+wait while they find it).

Fedex is good, they ask me to pay the VAT online after delivery and don't charge an admin fee. For sourcing ICs that Farnell doesn't stock, I usually ask the manufacture for samples. btw if you qualify for a business account, then Farnell doesn't have a minimum order value.

FedEx, thanks that is interesting, I assume you need an account though (business or personal ?).
Digikey ship usps though.

Farnell, no business ac for 5 yrs now but I keep a list of bits I may need soon , tips,sponges,stuff and I can normally pad out an order to meet the min charge.