Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Sparkfun overpriced  (Read 9391 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

but when I could produce a part in eagle, buy parts from digikey and have it manufactured in panels at somewhere like Dorkbot for less money per part than SparkFun - there is something wrong there.

Does that include your own time and labor? Normally a hobbyist has an advantage of trading their time off against against labor costs of a commercial enterprise has to endure. So possible yours is a apple Vs oranges comparison?

Lefty

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

if you do it right you only have to design it once, its not like when you order from sparkfun 3 "engineers" jump right into it designing a custom ciruit and board just for your order (this aint Wendy's)

Now I know designing a board to go from tsop to dip is a real ball buster, but most companies would take a loss on that 15 minuets to bring the customer a better price and make it up in sales
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:16:55 pm by Osgeld » Logged

Office meets Adruino
View Profile

if you do it right you only have to design it once, its not like when you order from sparkfun 3 "engineers" jump right into it designing a custom ciruit and board just for your order (this aint Wendy's)

Now I know designing a board to go from tsop to dip is a real ball buster, but most companies would take a loss on that 15 minuets to bring the customer a better price and make it up in sales

And to design the boards?
Write the software?
answer the phones?
pick up the trash?
empty the trash cans?
disposal service of hazmat waste ?
tooling costs?
lights?

Lawyers.

The list goes on and on when you go from a one man soldering shop in china to a corporate entity in the states. I am not defending their prices but only pointing the start of a long list of things they have to pay for prior to releasing any product.

If little johny got shocked by 5V and accidently burnt his little finger they would get sued and we as customers absorb that in R&D and the price reflects that.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I know a few of their more complex boards are designed by other people using sparfun as a distribution point, IE the UBW32

and with few to little new products and 90+ employees I am sure there is enough arms around to deal with the everyday's of office life

not saying you dont have good points, but a company of their alleged size and growth should be out there slaying all the smaller hobby shops with their good reputation, excellent support and service, and only bulk manufacture could possibly produce a price THIS good marketing

and yet its often the smaller shops who often beat them on 1 or more points, why?

I dont see a thread asking if lady ada, make, modern design etc is overpriced, and if there was, as in this thread asking if seeedstudios was, its a pretty simple non debatable thing
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:43:29 pm by Osgeld » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

its a pretty simple non debatable thing
Sorry, I think it is debatable - but apparently not with you.  smiley-wink

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

smiley-razz

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

@graymalkin:

Correct.

You're a malicious terrorist and are actively damaging sparkfun's sales!

There's got to be a law against that. If hobby electronics were like the music business, you'd be facing a hefty lawsuit. Maybe something like 10k$ per board for potential loss of profit.

<Irony off>
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:09:58 am by madworm » Logged

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

but when I could produce a part in eagle, buy parts from digikey and have it manufactured in panels at somewhere like Dorkbot for less money per part than SparkFun - there is something wrong there.
Yes but then you also have to make a few hundred which would not be cheaper than the one or two of things most people want.

Mowcius
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:32:36 am by mowcius » Logged

Netherlands
View Profile

I dont see a thread asking if lady ada, make, modern design etc is overpriced, and if there was, as in this thread asking if seeedstudios was, its a pretty simple non debatable thing

I have to disagree with you if by "make" you mean the "Makers Shed". They are way more overpriced then Sparkfun.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have to disagree with you if by "make" you mean the "Makers Shed". They are way more overpriced then Sparkfun.
I think he's just saying he doesn't see a thread on it, not that they are not expensive.

Mowcius

Netherlands
View Profile

I think he's just saying he doesn't see a thread on it, not that they are not expensive.

You are right, my fault smiley-wink.

not saying you dont have good points, but a company of their alleged size and growth should be out there slaying all the smaller hobby shops with their good reputation, excellent support and service, and only bulk manufacture could possibly produce a price THIS good marketing

and yet its often the smaller shops who often beat them on 1 or more points, why?

I think Sparkfun made the choice to not compete (only) on price but on quality. It's hard to compete on price with suppliers from China or with companies like Mouser and Digikey (different way of doing business).

They try to create some kind of community feeling around their brand. Sparkfun is not just a place to get your components (to much competition in that field) but more a nice place to shop. I think you should consider it to be more of a premium brand. Not like a big wholesaler where you order your LED's, Resistors, Diodes and other (small) stuff.

If a company chooses the road of competing on quality/better experience there is always discussion about the price. Best example that comes to mind is Apple smiley-wink.

Central Indiana, USA
So many projects, so little time...and money!
View Profile

Obviously, there are people who feel that their prices are reasonable enough.  Supply and demand.  Suppliers will charge what consumers are Willing and Able to pay.

Maybe you should compete with them.  Sounds like you have it figured out already.  With the amount of money they're making, you should make a killing with your pricing.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

This thread reminds me of threads about Starbucks on coffee forums. Or, threads about Petco on pet forums. Or, threads about Best Buy on home electronics forums. Or, threads about Samuel Adams on beer forums.

Netherlands
View Profile

Maybe you should compete with them.  Sounds like you have it figured out already.  With the amount of money they're making, you should make a killing with your pricing.

To who are you talking? smiley-wink

Netherlands
View Profile

This thread reminds me of threads about Starbucks on coffee forums. Or, threads about Petco on pet forums. Or, threads about Best Buy on home electronics forums. Or, threads about Samuel Adams on beer forums.

Or threads about Apple on computer forums. Etcetera, etcetera smiley-grin.

Every niche forum has this kind of discussions smiley-grin.  A lot of people are (imho rightly) willing to pay a premium for an easier shopping/product experience smiley-wink.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Jump to: