Go Down

Topic: Grbl Shield for 3-axis CNC machine help (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Benjaminkarlson

Hi fellow arduino people,

I am making a 3-axis CNC milling machine using an Arduino Mega2560. I am using 3 bipolar stepper motors (Nema 17) for the axis movement.
I am planning on using Grbl to control the motors. Do I need to have a Grbl Shield?? or can I just use the stepper controllers that I already have made using an LK239 dual H-bridge?
Also I can't quite figure out how to upload the Grbl software to the arduino, as I can't use the arduino sketch program.

Please help.

DoUduino

May 12, 2013, 07:42 am Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:45 am by DoUduino Reason: 1
1. Hey I'm in the same boat. I have successfully downloaded GRBL though. Then saved into my Arduino IDE/Libraries. Next, I downloaded g-code-sender. I then followed a tutorial on connecting GRBL to g-code-sender then it was installed into my UNO. Finally I could upload a sample g-code to my UNO from g-code-sender and see the RX/TX leds flicker to let me know its working along with watching each line of code execute on the g-code-sender program. P.S. I'm on Windows7 (64bit).

2. I have been going through the config.h(grbl) and I can't seem to "REPIN IT", if you will, to accommodate the Arduino UNO?Ada-fruit Motor Shield. I believe the GRBL program will supply direct to a Stepper Driver and not to a Translator(sn74hc595n on the motor shield). To my understanding is that The Motor Shield works like Co-Phasing one signal into two, that's where the Dual H-Bridge comes in. I am self taught and not even a noob yet(16yrs on/off) and I hope this helps somewhat.

I will release more info as I have it.

Take Care, DoUduino

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy