Go Down

Topic: Circuits.io - Free PCB Design tool. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Not used this myself, but maybe of interest to those not wanting to learn EagleCad.

It's free, so what is the price to pay ?
Can't find that out by quickly scanning the site without signing in.
Are all designs public or published ?
What's the catch ?
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

I imagine that any designs made using this are made public on the website.
You`d have to ask/contact them to be sure.

I think I read on that site that you can export gerbers, so you can get the boards made elsewhere.

I vow to not use any cloud based software. Anything I have tried so far has been too sllow.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

I vow to not use any cloud based software. Anything I have tried so far has been too sllow.

Speed would be the least of my worries - did you hear what happened to Tinkercad? Probably the easiest to use online 3D CAD program around, designed to allow you to quickly create models, etc - store them online or download the an STL file to send to your 3D printer (or upload to several 3D printing services if you wanted). I had heard about them some time ago, then about a week or so ago I decided to give them a longer "try" - and inside of a couple of hours, I had designed a simple bracket meant to hold a laser module (like something you'd mount on a robot or such). It was accurate down to a fraction of a millimeter; I was seriously tempted to have the STL file printed. I realized that this was the software I had been looking for to jump into 3D printing - CAD software is anything but easy, but they had made it easy - extremely easy, and affordable, too.

Then a couple of days later, they sent out a press release stating they were discontinuing the software to focus on a different market segment which would be based around the distributed 3D engine they had created for processing the Tinkercad modeling - and this new system would be for the simulation market. Tinkercad is no more.

...and there isn't a comparable piece of software to replace it, either. I started playing around with other options - the best I have found - so far - has been FreeCAD - but even it is no where near as simple and easy to use as Tinkercad. Shapesmith is a nice online and similar piece of software (and open source and free), but it still has a long ways to go before it can be like Tinkercad. Other offerings either won't work for me (Sketchup is Windows only - and barely works in Wine - and isn't simple to work with, either) - or are way, way too complex (Blender, for instance). I've thought about things like OpenSCAD (and OpenJSCAD, etc) - I like the nature of "program your parts" - but at the same time, it seems a bit abstract.

Tinkercad had built up a great community, got a lot of great testing, then tried to switch to a pay model that people apparently balked at (personally, I thought $20.00 a month was an absurd bargain for what you got); now that community has nothing to replace it, and likely won't support anybody wanting donations to fund a development effort, either (since they wouldn't pay for access for the low-cost Tinkercad offering)...

I can't blame Tinkercad for doing what they did - they need to make money to survive as a business, and apparently, there isn't money to be made from 3D printer enthusiasts for easy-to-use 3D CAD software (which I don't get - it's the software that's the toughest part of 3D printing - at least, if you want to do anything custom). Even so - they pulled the rug out from under a lot of people - and now those people have few options to select - currently - on where to go for similar software.

Cloud software support that can just go "poof!" one day reminds me of proprietary closed-source software, that can easily do the same thing (or the company go under) - I guess that's why I am now throwing my lot in with open solutions at least as far as CAD goes - as well as circuit design. Hopefully more people wise up and get tired of being "burned" by proprietary and closed source offerings.

Something makes me doubt it, though...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131