Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATMega1284P Issues  (Read 1810 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Actually, using a 16.934Mhz oscillator makes for a more accurate buadrate division which means less errors:

Freq (MHz)       Buadrate    Notes
16.9344  115200         Used in CD-DA systems and CD-ROM drives; allows integer division to 44.1 kHz (384×44.1 kHz), 22.05 kHz, and 11.025 kHz. Also allows integer division to common UART baud rates up to 115200. Frequencies also used are 11.2896 MHz, 22.5972 MHz, 33.8688 MHz and 45.1584 MHz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator_frequencies

(error rate of 3.7% at 16MHz vs. 2.0% at 16.934Mhz so still not 'perfect' but actually better than 16Mhz exactly.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:13:28 am by Retroplayer » Logged

View Profile

Tak - Refer to image. I simply used jumpers to connect the onboard 16Mhz resonator.

And a lot of great info. Ill surely look into that and post back. Much appreciated!

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

using a 16.934Mhz oscillator makes for a more accurate buadrate
Not if the bootloader was compiled assuming a 16MHz clock.  That will yield nearly 8% error, if I calculated right.

UK
God Member
View Profile

Tak - Refer to image. I simply used jumpers to connect the onboard 16Mhz resonator.

And a lot of great info. Ill surely look into that and post back. Much appreciated!
I can't follow the connections from the photo, there are just too many long looping jumpers everywhere.

You've got an Uno with no MCU and then two breadboards, one with a 328 and another with 1284.

Are you trying to share the Uno 16mhz crystal with both of these? If so then you can't just pick up both sides on the crystal to both XTAL pins on each chip. On one you drive the crystal normally and on the other just link the crystal output to XTAL in of 2nd chip I believe.

Also bear in mind that the XTAL pins are the opposite way round on 1284 vs 328. On the 328 it's the low impedance pin adjacent signal pin. On the 1284 it's the high impedance XTAL pin adjacent The RX0 signal pin. This is one reason we had issues with serial uploads on 1284 without adequate ground rings or full swing oscillator; the high z XTAL pin on 1284 seemed to susceptible to capacitively induced interference from the adjacent RX0 pin.

View Profile

Still out of sync. I guess I'll just scrap the 1284s. I don't have the resources to purchase an external programmer or whatever will work with these uC's. Oh well.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Send me a chip, I'll install a bootloader and send it back.
PM for address.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Rapa Nui
Edison Member
Pukao hats cleaning services
View Profile

I don't have the resources to purchase an external programmer or whatever will work with these uC's.
A bullet proved programmer costs you $3.22 inclusive shipping.
Search "ebay usbasp"

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: