Go Down

Topic: IDE plugins (Read 4864 times) previous topic - next topic

aballen

I would like to see "plugin" functionality added, to dynamically download and add libraries to the IDE.  Something similar to eclipse.  

Intellij Idea has a similar functionality.  There is a menu with a search option, and you can then read descriptions of libraries, and download them on the fly.

I think you would need to define a way to package these plugins, and prepare a repository.

This could allow the arduino IDE to be fairly stable, but new functionality could still be added without major revisions.

digimike

Whats wrong with downloading a library then exporting it to the library folder?

aballen

I don't think there is anything wrong.  I have seen other posts asking for more libraries to be included however and I think that that is a never-ending request.

Building in the ability to find and download libraries would take care of that request, and also add a nice feature to the IDE.

AlphaBeta

I very much support this suggestion.

It could even be extended to automatically search the playground for the requested library.

Like:
-Rightclick the name of the header file, get option 'download locally' and 'download from playground'. Thats it for the user.
After download is complete: Sketch ready to compile.

Nachtwind

SOunds like you have worked with R ;0)

Basically this downloading/ fetching online Libs is a wonderful idea - and it could be extended with a 'search for updates' button. Think of the easiness - every lib just needs an XML file with name, author, version and thread to the discussion in the forum. That would be sooo awesome
Believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid[ch8230] and I went ahead

tep

Yes, linux-like...
A first step could be an import dialog to simply add a lib to the librairies folder. For example,
- you would download a file like LEDControl.arl (zip file renamed),
- open it automatically from the browser in the Arduino IDE,
- confirm, unzip/install.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy